Need help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Africans will need to be overstocked. More so malawi I'm not too knowledgable on tanganyika.
If properly stocked with the correct species and ratios, overstocking doesn't NEED to be done, when discussing Malawain tanks. Tanganyikan tanks do best when NOT overstocked, unless you are talking about tropheus, in which the more, the better (although you should still only as many as the tank will handle)

Going with mbuna stocking!! Finally made my mind up

Cool try to get a 1 male to 3/4 female ratio if you can it will really help ease aggression.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great advice I will! does anyone know of Good online sites or look for local lfs

And I'm sure you know what mbuna means rock fish so make sure you add plenty of rocks to form caves and refuge spots and blocks in line of sight.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes I have 15pc cichlid stone caves will be here in 5 days I'm also thinking of getting lava rock but not sure what's opinion on those?

We are keeping substrate but will be getting sand in near future as we already have plans for another tank yikes :)

Fishyfriends3 what would you recommend for refuge spots and blocks in sight I am getting this to start ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393209163.337411.jpg

Fishyfriends3 what would you recommend for refuge spots and blocks in sight I am getting this to start

That's a great start. I recommend going to your nearest rock yard or landscaping place and picking some rocks up. Be creative. I set this tank up for Africans

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140223_205106.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140223_205106.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 56
Love that look what type is that I was following ur mbuna thread just got done reading it

I just seen and yes he looks great! opinion on lava rock? Or get solid stone and soak in vinegar and if it fizzes or does anything else it's no good...how long after vinegar can I add to tank? Does it need to be cleaned a specific way after test?

I just seen and yes he looks great! opinion on lava rock? Or get solid stone and soak in vinegar and if it fizzes or does anything else it's no good...how long after vinegar can I add to tank? Does it need to be cleaned a specific way after test?

You can clean it with vinegar. I used bleach diluted 50:50 with water ratio. I then scrubbed and washed them off with water and let them sit in buckets for a few days.

You can use lava rock but it has Sharp edges and you have to file them down a bit.

I'll stick with solid stones and test them thank you for answering I'm new to this site/app love reading about it all new obsession for me yikes gets expensive

I'll stick with solid stones and test them thank you for answering I'm new to this site/app love reading about it all new obsession for me yikes gets expensive

Haha yes it does but Craigslist is your best friend normally besides Google haha

Another way of cleaning rocks is jet spraying the rocks, scrubbing them down, putting them in 5 gallon buckets, pouring boiling water in the bucket and repeating 2-3 times, then scrubbing them down one last time and a final jet spray. Should be good to go right afterwards into your tank. Remember to sand down sharp edges and corners beforehand, so your fish doesn't get hurt if they happen to get chased.

Back
Top Bottom