Need help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lay6488

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 90 gallon tank with aquatop cf 500 canister filter with 48" Elive led pod light right now with 2 blue pods and 8 white pods at the moment we are cycling tank and want to know what are bright colorful cichlids and do they pair good with any other type fish also what amount would be good for our tank so there is no over stocking.

Need to specify the type of cichlid you're after, colorful is a bit broad lol. To start you off, are you looking for big, small, or medium size fish?

Malawi are beautiful. I would look into them. Or were you looking into Africans? Or Tanganyikan? There are a lot of choices my friend.

I am looking into buying small so they grow with us but I don't know as much as I would like about them to go and make a impulse buy and something not turning out good. Our 90 gallon is cycling so we have a little while before we can add fish trying to get insight from other aquatics hobbyist who have them and know all about them on behavior, temperament what types there if they pair well with other types of fish I love blue, red, green, yellow, orange... colors that really stand out as this once it's set up completely and stocked will be a therapeutic tank ( for my daughter) we have her 36g tank which she loves but currently had to completely start over as we couldn't control ammonia in tank. My husband has 75g with oscar which is divided now so we can keep fish from 36 gal tank alive and healthy

Blue, red, green, yellow, orange, ect.. The obvious choice is an all male Peacock tank. You could buy them as juveniles, then weave out the females since you enjoy watching them grow. Dwarf mbunas are my favorite since they have males & females that look great, but I'm bias on them since they're what I currently have. Look both species up and see what you like and fits your taste. I'm sure there will be others who'll recommend other types of cichlid, but starting out your research with peacocks and mbunas will be alright.

Thank you all I'm going to start some more research if I have any questions I'll be sure to comment again

I would like to add, It would be a pretty sweet multis tank! But all in all I would choose mbunas. Tons of color in both male and females

A 90 gallon multi tank would be an absolute waste.....a 90 gallon tanganyikan tank would be much better

How many would be good for tank I don't want to over stock tank

Depends which type of cichlids you want first before we can you how many and I'd recommend dwarf mbuna or tanganyikan community the former because they are very colourful active and the latter because I have one and the personalities are amazing.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Leaning towards mbunas but I still haven't done complete research still in progress

Africans will need to be overstocked. More so malawi I'm not too knowledgable on tanganyika.

I would go for cichlids from lake Malawi there are so many varieties of colors and shapes from mbunas to haps and peacock make if you get peacocks and haps with mbunas that they are bigger than the mbunas

Back
Top Bottom