need some opinions on kenyi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cejones94

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I need a little more advice. I have a 2 or 3 inch kenyi in a 46 all by herself. I wanna get more kenyis. All of the fish at the fish store are way smaller. I'm afraid if I put smaller fish in there she will attack them. If I were to have somebody that would want her should I give her away and start new?? Or do y'all think she would be okay with baby fish

If you add multiples at one time you're likely to get better results. Also, redecorate right before adding the newbies, if you can add extra cover for them and maybe a new hiding spot or two. It also helps to add them then turn out the lights and cover the tank. Just keep an eye on them and if she's picking on them you'll have to figure something else out. That's what I'd do.

If this is a standard 26 gal tank (i.e. 36" long), you're going to be best off if you stick with just the one you have. The Kenyi are very aggressive Cichlids who establish large territories. Placing more than one in that tank will most likely result in large scale aggression once they mature, and you will most likely be reduced back down to only a single survivor.

Many people have said just the oposite of what u just said so I think I will disregard your advice no offense

cejones94 said:
Many people have said just the oposite of what u just said so I think I will disregard your advice no offense

You should NEVER just disregard someone's advice like that. Wy knows what he's talking about! Kenyi are very aggressive!
Do research then decide what's best for you and your tank.

Sorry if I'm outta line here, I mean no disrespect to anyone.

i have had luck keeping them in a small tank. and disregarding advice that you asked for isn't right. you asked for it, he gave it to you.

Lady_Alia said:
You should NEVER just disregard someone's advice like that. Wy knows what he's talking about! Kenyi are very aggressive!
Do research then decide what's best for you and your tank.

Sorry if I'm outta line here, I mean no disrespect to anyone.

First I said no offense..second I asked for advice and neither of u answered my specific problem...lastly I didn't say he didn't know what he's talking bout he just happens to be alittle off in this instance I've seen 20 plus cichlids in a 55 sooo

cejones94 said:
First I said no offense..second I asked for advice and neither of u answered my specific problem...lastly I didn't say he didn't know what he's talking bout he just happens to be alittle off in this instance I've seen 20 plus cichlids in a 55 sooo

I believe I did answer your question...I would try putting them in there. But I also said I would redecorate and add new hiding spots as well as keeping an eye on your girl to see if she picks on the newbies.
What we're all saying is that kenyis are aggressive, more so than some of the other cichlids, so just be careful!

No offense taken, but I would urge you to do some additionally research. However, you are totally free to do whatever you would like.

You are totally free to find out for yourself the hard way. After all, its your money. Just keep in mind that a few weeks or even months of success doesn't make you/it right. These fish can take a couple years to mature.

As for the 20+ cichlids in a 55, you're absolutely right. A 55 however is a 4' tank, not a 3' tank. Also, you're talking about a tank which is overstocked to reduce aggression. A 46gal tank with only a few Kenyi is no comparison.

So I need a little more advice. I have a 2 or 3 inch kenyi in a 46 all by herself. I wanna get more kenyis. All of the fish at the fish store are way smaller. I'm afraid if I put smaller fish in there she will attack them. If I were to have somebody that would want her should I give her away and start new?? Or do y'all think she would be okay with baby fish

As to the specific question, you have about the same chance of success either way ~ although you will be able to enjoy them a little longer if you introduce all smaller ones and rehome the larger one. As Lady_Alia said you should redecorate and make sure that you have plenty of hiding places for the little guys when you introduce them, and make sure you introduce several at once rather than only 2 or 3 as this will also help to reduce aggression as well.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

I have a kenyi in my 75g. I originally made the mistake of having him with fish he would never see in the wild. He terrorized all of them and quickly owned the tank. The only thing I did differently now was add in more Africans remove the rest of the fish that he terrorized and he stands pretty passive now.

Digidave said:
I have a kenyi in my 75g. I originally made the mistake of having him with fish he would never see in the wild. He terrorized all of them and quickly owned the tank. The only thing I did differently now was add in more Africans remove the rest of the fish that he terrorized and he stands pretty passive now.

That's my exact situation

Wy Renegade said:
No offense taken, but I would urge you to do some additionally research. However, you are totally free to do whatever you would like.

You are totally free to find out for yourself the hard way. After all, its your money. Just keep in mind that a few weeks or even months of success doesn't make you/it right. These fish can take a couple years to mature.

As for the 20+ cichlids in a 55, you're absolutely right. A 55 however is a 4' tank, not a 3' tank. Also, you're talking about a tank which is overstocked to reduce aggression. A 46gal tank with only a few Kenyi is no comparison.

As to the specific question, you have about the same chance of success either way ~ although you will be able to enjoy them a little longer if you introduce all smaller ones and rehome the larger one. As Lady_Alia said you should redecorate and make sure that you have plenty of hiding places for the little guys when you introduce them, and make sure you introduce several at once rather than only 2 or 3 as this will also help to reduce aggression as well.

Best of luck with your endeavor.

Now that sounds like advice...thanks and sorry if I sounded hostle

I changed the landscape. Added a ton of new rocks, new fish (all smaller than him) and made sure when I did the lights were off for a full day. I added his tank mates in the dark so he was pretty much docile the entire time. One thing I noticed is that with anything smaller than him; he's fine. He actually guards some of he new fishes territory and then relinquishes when they get back. I know it's a time bomb waiting to happen but for right now he's been the ideal tank mate.

I changed the landscape. Added a ton of new rocks, new fish (all smaller than him) and made sure when I did the lights were off for a full day. I added his tank mates in the dark so he was pretty much docile the entire time. One thing I noticed is that with anything smaller than him; he's fine. He actually guards some of he new fishes territory and then relinquishes when they get back. I know it's a time bomb waiting to happen but for right now he's been the ideal tank mate.

my male kenyi also guards the little guys(F auratus & a small male ablino (possibly red zebra))

he loves to show off his huge mouth and chases my yellow lab away from these littler guy

the smaller ones are about 1" and all the rest are 2.5-3" including the kenyi. but i've got an overstocked 55 4' tank.

Mine only really goes after my jewels which are getting rehomed soon because they are the least aggressive in my tank. I'm not sure what will replace them and not take over as tank boss just yet

Back
Top Bottom