New 110g Mbuna Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joe511

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm setting up a new 110g (60x20x21) Mbuna tank. I've got a wet/dry with a 1200 gph pump and 2 hydor 600 gph power heads. I've bought some really nice decoration rocks from Universal Rocks to aqua scape and make the tank look as real to the natural environment as possible. I am painting the back glass flat black and considering attaching several of the rocks to the back glass to create a 3D background. The manufacturer suggested using silicone to attach an L-shaped piece of plastic to the glass, then silicone the inside edge of the rock to the plastic. This hangs the rock in place to give a 3D background look. They also gave the alternative of using a stainless steel screw to attach the rock to the plastic. Here are a few of my concerns and I would be grateful for any feedback.

1). If the edge of the rock is not completely flat to the glass, can water become somewhat stagnant behind the rock and create any problems? Would there be enough water flow with the filtration and power heads to mitigate this? I figure if fish get behind the rocks, they could get out.
2). I've never siliconed anything to an aquarium. If I decide to remove the rock from the glass and redo the look, how difficult would that be?

Attached are a few pictures of the rocks inside the empty aquarium and what the inside of the rock looks like. Again, I appreciate any feedback.

Attachments

• image-3086202956.jpg
    image-3086202956.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 147
  • image-3338820340.jpg
    image-3338820340.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 155
I wouldnt bother with attaching them to the glass. If you ever want to move them it will be a pain or simply look kinda bad because the silicon will be there. The fish can find their way out and debree can cause nitrates to go up. Plus those rocks look heavy and they probably wouldnt silicon well

The rocks are are maybe 5lbs for the largest ones. Once you silicone to the glass, can you not get it completely removed? I really like the way it creates a 3D background, but I definitely do not want to create unnecessary headaches and problems in the future! Thanks for the feedback.

Why don't you create 3D background using foam and cement?

The rocks are are maybe 5lbs for the largest ones. Once you silicone to the glass, can you not get it completely removed? I really like the way it creates a 3D background, but I definitely do not want to create unnecessary headaches and problems in the future! Thanks for the feedback.

Sorry just noticed your new here. Welcome to the site

The only real problem is cleaning the mess up with a full tank of water. I have a 3d background that I made and I get stuff behind it. I have to take a power head and blow it all around it till the stuff comes out so it can be done.

I've heard cleaning ( silicone) isn't to bad but the person I know did it in an empty tank. I wouldn't think it would be worth it IMO. And what if a rock pulled away from it? That a good amount of weight

I am needing advice on lighting. Can anyone please give me some feedback/opinions on Kessil 350W lights? I am contemplating using 2 of these on a 60x20x21 cichlid tank. Or might use 3 Kessil 150 lights. Is there any other LED lights that anyone has experience with that would make this tank look good. Thanks.

Generally speaking, how long does it take for an aquarium to clear up after the initial setup? 110g has been set up for 3 days and still appears cloudy. Normal?

Attachments

• image-1625428508.jpg
    image-1625428508.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 106
Was the substrate washed before putting it in? Might help to get some new filter floss & see if that helps....If that doesnt help, I think you are gonna have to wait for another day or 2.

I used the CaribSea African cichlid mix, both the eco complete Ivory Coast sand and rift lake authentic. The sand came bagged in water and was supposed to have beneficial bacteria, so I didn't rinse it. I did rinse the other very well. I have a 1200 gph pump on the wet dry and two 600 gph powerheads. I guess that will stir up any sediment for a good while. I do have 6 fathead minnows in the tank. I did my first water test today just to see what was registering. I had 8 for PH, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, and .25 ammonia. Seem right for 4 days after setup?

So you are doing a fish-in-cycle? With only a few small fish in a big tank.... it will tale a very long time for your BB to grow & I am really not sure how long.

i did a fish in cycle on my 75 but i used 3 yellow labs and water changes water changes and more water changes. i waited about a month before i added more fish just to be safe. only way to get rid of the ammonia is water change and at the beginning i did 50% weekly and i used prime. good luck and nice tank!!

oh and my tank was cloudy for a few days but it will go away

10 days into a fish-in cycle. I've tested the water about every other day and nothing is really changing. Ammonia has been .25 trates and trites both 0, ph is at 8.2. Water has stayed pretty consistently cloudy since day 1. I did put a dose of API quick start in yesterday. The only thing that changed is now my ammonia is 0. Does this sound correct for 10 days into a fish-in cycle? I've done 0 water changes. Other than just having patience, does anyone have any advice on speeding the process up a little? Thanks.

I did this before your filter will need to be rinsed or new angel hair added daily to remove all that cloud. The substrate packs tons of dust in the water. If your ammonia is 0 that's great the bacteria your adding has neutralized what was present. Do you have fish in? If so what and how many

6 fathead minnows. I have changed and rinsed with aquarium water the filter in the wet/dry about 4 times. I've done this when the water has began to backup and spill into the return side of the sump.

Was the water really cloudy from the rinsed filter media? I had a 55 and it took me 10 days rinsing morning and night. You can try the water clarifier it has been my friend when starting new tanks. It will bond with all those fine particles so it gets picked up faster from the filter. You might also want to do a nice water change first to remove some.

It can take anywhere from a week to months for an aquarium to complete its cycle. Are you waiting to add new fish? What do you wan lt to speed up?

I used the same substrate, I'm in the process of doing a fish less cycle. That substrate doesn't cycle the tank at all. The only thing it's really good for is keeping the ph up. If you want to test it, add pure ammonia, and see how long it takes for it to drop, than turn to nitrites, then nitrates. My personal experience, I waited four days after adding the ammonia, and it didnt drop a single ppm.

Back
Top Bottom