125g tank reseal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betaton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently acquainted a 125 gallon tank with a leak in on of the edges. I have since resealed it and have noticed a small leak in the same area. It is dripping from the side wall but water is puddling up around the corner and I can’t tell if there is another leak on the bottom in the same area. Any ideas on how to fix this leak? I was thinking of siliconing side bracket's to the edge that’s leaking even though it wouldn’t look great.

Attachments

• IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1011.jpg
    IMG_1011.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 33
It could be my eyes but the glass looks like it's chipped which could lead to a number of issues. If it's not chipped and you still have leaks in the same area, it means you didn't use enough silicone OR the glass was not clean enough for the silicone to make contact directly with the glass.
Confirm the chip status and we can go from there. (y)

It could be my eyes but the glass looks like it's chipped which could lead to a number of issues. If it's not chipped and you still have leaks in the same area, it means you didn't use enough silicone OR the glass was not clean enough for the silicone to make contact directly with the glass.
Confirm the chip status and we can go from there. (y)

The glass does not seem to be chipped. The previous opener had a leak in the same place and caked on a bunch of black silicone that I have since scraped off so what I think you’re seeing is the old residue from the silicone.

The glass does not seem to be chipped. The previous opener had a leak in the same place and caked on a bunch of black silicone that I have since scraped off so what I think you’re seeing is the old residue from the silicone.
Okay, if that's the case, here's what you can do:
Get a couple pieces of 1/4" glass, 1 inch wide and about 1 inch longer than the area that has the leaks. These are now going to be the "band-aids". Scrape off the silicone you added as well as really clean the glass that will be underneath the band-aids so that it is squeaky clean. Once that is done, spread a bead of silicone around the band-aids and then press one onto the back pane of glass and one on the side pane so that they are touching each other. Make sure the band-aids extend beyond the leaking areas on both sides. Place another bead of silicone at the joint of the 2 band-aids and along the bottoms and press into the place. Allow to dry and cure fully ( usually 48 hours but follow directions on your silicone) before water testing.
What should happen if done correctly is the beads around the band-aids should spread around the whole band-aid creating an impermeable seal. You can also add a bead of silicone along the edge of the band-aid should you see any gaps in the silicone behind the glass.

If there are still leaks, it's coming from another area and dripping down to the repaired area. (y)

Okay, if that's the case, here's what you can do:
Get a couple pieces of 1/4" glass, 1 inch wide and about 1 inch longer than the area that has the leaks. These are now going to be the "band-aids". Scrape off the silicone you added as well as really clean the glass that will be underneath the band-aids so that it is squeaky clean. Once that is done, spread a bead of silicone around the band-aids and then press one onto the back pane of glass and one on the side pane so that they are touching each other. Make sure the band-aids extend beyond the leaking areas on both sides. Place another bead of silicone at the joint of the 2 band-aids and along the bottoms and press into the place. Allow to dry and cure fully ( usually 48 hours but follow directions on your silicone) before water testing.
What should happen if done correctly is the beads around the band-aids should spread around the whole band-aid creating an impermeable seal. You can also add a bead of silicone along the edge of the band-aid should you see any gaps in the silicone behind the glass.

If there are still leaks, it's coming from another area and dripping down to the repaired area. (y)

Thanks again Andy. I’m not sure if you remember but you’ve also helped me with my silver dollars nipping at my Oscar. They are doing much better now.

as someone that went through a 125g leak and the adventures of resealing id honestly say that just simply replacing the tank is the far better option here imo. sure people have resealed tanks but i personally never had peace of mind after i resealed. i was always worried sick that i was going to walk in the door to an empty tank full of dead fish.

as someone that went through a 125g leak and the adventures of resealing id honestly say that just simply replacing the tank is the far better option here imo. sure people have resealed tanks but i personally never had peace of mind after i resealed. i was always worried sick that i was going to walk in the door to an empty tank full of dead fish.

As I am only 14 and having to pay for this tank myself, I don’t think I’ll be able to buy a tank tank because they are quite expensive. Do you think I should just throw away the tank and be done with it? Or is there any way I can test it before putting it inside to be absolutely Sure that it won’t leak?

I wouldn't throw it away. You absolutely CAN reseal tanks. Many people have done it and had success. Theres just no real guarantee with it. Being that you are 14 if you have any source of income (chores/ minor side jobs) an option would be to reseal this tank however possible, then save up for a new one. Keep an eye on fb marketplace and stuff. Sometimes you can come across a replacement there for noticeably less than a new tank :)

As I am only 14 and having to pay for this tank myself, I don’t think I’ll be able to buy a tank tank because they are quite expensive. Do you think I should just throw away the tank and be done with it? Or is there any way I can test it before putting it inside to be absolutely Sure that it won’t leak?
Yes, you can test the tank outside but it requires you to set up a stand that is level ( make sure you put styrofoam under the tank) before you start filling it with water. I like to use cement blocks for my test stands with 2 x 4s for the tanks to sit on. For this you'd want to make 6 piles of block, 1 pile for every corner and then 2 at the middle of the tank ( at 3' mark if this is a 6' tank. )
Resealing large tanks is a little scary because if you don't do it correctly, there is the water on the floor factor. The key is do not skimp on the silicone. (y)

Back
Top Bottom