New 55 gal cichlid tank. Ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helloelliee

Aquarium Advice Regular
So in the next couple of weeks I'm going to be getting a 55 gallon fish tank. I'm wanting to stock it with african cichlids. Anyone have any specific breeds that would look good and go well together? And types of plants/decorations they prefer if any. I'm going to be doing my own research as well too so please don't be mean, thanks! :fish2::thanks::)

Helloelliee said:
So in the next couple of weeks I'm going to be getting a 55 gallon fish tank. I'm wanting to stock it with african cichlids. Anyone have any specific breeds that would look good and go well together? And types of plants/decorations they prefer if any. I'm going to be doing my own research as well too so please don't be mean, thanks! :fish2::thanks::)

Im not a chichlid guy, but i do know get all of them from the same lake.

As for decorations, i love the look of white sand and lots of rocks and slate thrown in to give it a "rubble" type look. I think it totally compliments those crazy fish

I was thinking of doing sand as well but I've never dealt with sand before. I know a lot of people say that it can get into your filter and ruin it, I'd hate for that to happen! I would love to have sand though. I'm going to research on that. Thanks:)

Helloelliee said:
I was thinking of doing sand as well but I've never dealt with sand before. I know a lot of people say that it can get into your filter and ruin it, I'd hate for that to happen! I would love to have sand though. I'm going to research on that. Thanks:)

As for sand, I would go with a course pool filter sand. Dont get play sand because it turns to mud when you clean it and it tends to float more. Pfs is really good but they also sell cichlid sand

Helloelliee said:

Yes it could, but i have seen many chichlid tanks with sand before, so there must be a way to keep it out of your filters easily

The issue with sand in the filter is easily resolved by putting a sponge on the intake or shortening the intake tube. If the intake is in about the middle of the tank height wise you should be fine. I have sand in all my tanks and it's not a big deal as long as the intake is away from the bottom, Africans loft to sift sand and doing this easily remedies the issue.

Oh and to clarify I use play sand with no issues it just requires more rinsing. I live in a small town pfs is not easy to find

Okay I've been researching sand, I think I'm going to go with PFS. They sell it at my home depot for 5.48 for 50 lbs! Man if I would've known sand was that much cheaper than gravel I would've went with that the sand the first time. I spend 80 dollars just on gravel on my first 55 gallon tank I had. So how do you go about cleaning the sand before putting it in the tank for the first time? Thanks for all the inputs guys:)

The issue with sand in the filter is easily resolved by putting a sponge on the intake or shortening the intake tube. If the intake is in about the middle of the tank height wise you should be fine. I have sand in all my tanks and it's not a big deal as long as the intake is away from the bottom, Africans loft to sift sand and doing this easily remedies the issue.
I'm sorry putting a sponge on the intake tube? I've never heard of that but it sounds like a great idea. How do you do it exactly? Sorry I'm still a little new on fish keeping!

And what kind of algae eaters/bottom dwellers can you put in with african cichlids? I'm guessing corys are out of the question?

ok....go for yellow lab, yellow tailed acei, malawi golden, red zebra...mix them and try to little overstock your aquarium to avoid aggression....try to use black sand if u can find...it really brings the real beauty of ur fish...

You can buy sponges for filters or just get a big chunk of sponge at home depot or something, cut a hole a little smaller than the intake on the filter and push it on, plastic tie straps/zap straps can help hold it one. As far as bottom feeders check out synodontis catfish on google, there are lots of cool looking ones. They are African catfish and they for the most part school like cories. I have petricola and they are awesome, one of the smaller synos.

To clean sand you MUST DO IT OUTSIDE. NOT DOWN YOUR DRAIN.

Take a 5 gallon bucket fill it with a few inches of sand and start running hot water through it while stirring it up. The smaller amount of sand you do the faster and easier. Continue until the water is pretty much clear, don't worry when you put it in the tank and fill it, it's gonna be very murky Let the water settle for a while, I gave mine 2 days then start running your filters.

Make sure you cycle your tank before adding fish. As for types of fish that is your personal preference for what colors, size, and shape you like. I love smaller cichlids and I have mbuna and peacocks.

Helloelliee said:

Do yourself a favor and do as much research as you can before deciding what to purchase, including equipment, but in particular for fish. Avoid impulse purchases. Some will tell you that a 55 gallon will limit your selection of fish. Try to avoid mixing overly aggressive fish with less aggressive fish. I always look up potential purchases here http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles before I buy any. However, I post all questions on this forum (that you are reading now).

The whole sand vs gravel in my opinion is largely personal preference. I have dark blue gravel in my 55 gallon and they seem quite content. However, some seem to like to see Cichlids root around in the sand and filter through it. I wanted less maintenance, so I selected gravel.

I found that with a 55, one side of the tank would be colder than the heated side. So I purchased a second heater to even out the heat, and to provide some redundancy in case one failed while I was away, etc.

Quite a few state that Cichlids are hard on plants because they tear around the tank, especially when they are mature. I went with artificial plants, just because I already had some. I've never tried live plants, admittedly.

Some (most) African Cichlids like/need caves and/or hiding places. Some folks purchase a considerable amount of stone and build up rock work, sometimes securing their structures with aquarium-safe adhesive. Personally, I didn't want to add all of that weight to the tank, and envisioned it blowing out the bottom. I'm sure I'm just being too paranoid, but nonetheless I hunted through the stores until I found lightweight alternatives. They really do like to have places to duck in and out of, especially if they are breeding. People say good things about Cichlid-Stones as well (Google).

Plan to do partial water changes at least weekly, and large water changes monthly. Opinions on the quantity and frequency of these changes varies widely. Just keep checking your water parameters to keep them in acceptable. More fish means more waste, which means more water changes. FYI, some Pet Stores will test your water for free.

Select good food. An overwhelming majority state that New Life Spectrum (either Thera+ or Cichlid) is the best thing for Cichlids. (BTW, PetCo sells NLS.) Other folks like Omega One as well. Stay clear of generic fish food, and keep the proteins low (Google Cichlid Bloat).

Lake Malawi Cichlids prefer hard, alkaline water. I always bypass the water softener when I fill the tank. If you have city water, you should consider adding conditioner remove Chorine/Chloromine before adding to the tank. If you have city water, post here to ask folks for their opinions on which to get. I have good well water, so I don't need it (in my case). Other Africans may require different water parameters.

So far as what species, select compatible species. Yellow Labs are great starter Malawi African Cichlids. They have a peaceful temperament, they are pretty, readily available, breed easily, and easy to care for. If you plan to buy your fish in local stores, see what they have, take pictures, write down the names, then go home and research them. Don't always believe what the local fish store tells you. Listen to what they have to say, but then post questions here to get verification.

BTW, when you add fish by degrees, don't wait too long between so that your older ones get much larger than new ones. Otherwise the bigger ones may pick on the smaller ones.

Enjoy!

Jasadell, what lightweight alternative to Rick did you find? Is it expensive and where did you find it?

Thanks!

Jasadell thank you so much! That was a lot of helpful information. I know at my local petstores they have a tank labelled "Assorted African cichlids" that are all kinds of different colors,so I'm guessing those are all compatible?

Oh and my sister used tetra cichlid food for her oscar and it turned her tank like pee yellow, has anyone else had this problem?

CraigMac said:
Jasadell, what lightweight alternative to Rick did you find? Is it expensive and where did you find it?

Thanks!

I purchased all of my decor at PetSmart. There are a number of lightweight ceramic logs and cave-like structures. I don't care what anyone tells me, I don't believe that a fish can tell the difference between an actual rock/stone and a ceramic structure made to look like rock/stone. In particular, there is a very lightweight dark, ceramic log there. They all love it. From my research, these alternatives are more affordable than stones that are sold for this purpose.

Helloelliee said:
Oh and my sister used tetra cichlid food for her oscar and it turned her tank like pee yellow, has anyone else had this problem?

No. I started out with Tetra Cichlid for a month or two until someone told me that that is more meant for New World Cichlids and has too much protein for Africans. I use NLS now and only occasionally will throw a few flakes of Tera Cichlid in there.

Back
Top Bottom