New 90gal with sump SA cichlid tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidkeeper

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm starting my new project soon, it will be a slowish build as I need to order new pipe work for the return and drain pipe.
I have a couple questions to start off,

I wanted black gravel/sand as substrate, any suggestions? any certain types I should avoid or certain types cichlids get on better with?
Also
What kind of media will I need to have in the sump?
On my old salty tank I used filter sock, skimmer and live rock for filtration, I was gonna use a filter sock just to catch any large floaty bits but what else do I need?
Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wanted black gravel/sand as substrate, any suggestions? any certain types I should avoid or certain types cichlids get on better with?
Black Diamond ~20 grain blasting sand, Spectraquartz or Ceramaquartz will be your best bets for black sand. I like the ceramaquartz but it is not easy to find in many areas.

What kind of media will I need to have in the sump?
On my old salty tank I used filter sock, skimmer and live rock for filtration, I was gonna use a filter sock just to catch any large floaty bits but what else do I need?
You will want to set your sump up as a wet/dry for freshwater.

Back
Top Bottom