New cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdaddy2

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting up a 55 gallon tank, with a fluval 306. I'll be using gravel, rock formations and tall plastic plants. I want to do African cichlids. As many as I can as well as as many types. Looking to start a colorful tank. Any suggestions and info on types that can and cannot be together would be great thanks

I'd go with male mbuna, you'll be able to stock different types and keep aggression down. And a bristlenose pleco would work too. I'd do 10-12 depending on species of cichlid and a pleco

I would do a peacock tank. You wouldn't add as many fish as mbuna but it also wont be as insane IMO. Mbuna tanks are to busy for me. I like the Peacocks because they have just as much color and sometimes more so.

Just a heads up, if choosing mbuna be careful they dont pick the eyes off the pleco. Ive seen this posted afew times on the forum, whether they were under fed i dont know.

Just a heads up, if choosing mbuna be careful they dont pick the eyes off the pleco. Ive seen this posted afew times on the forum, whether they were under fed i dont know.

This can happen, typically it's not mbuna that eat the eyes though. I've never had a problem with it though.

Honestly like all of them. Peacock...mbuna. I like the idea of having 10-12 eventually good sized fish. And hopefully 2 Pleco. Are there any that will not work together.

Also how difficult us the care for this type of aquarium?

This is more the big aggressive Sa/Ca like red devils

Honestly like all of them. Peacock...mbuna. I like the idea of having 10-12 eventually good sized fish. And hopefully 2 Pleco. Are there any that will not work together. Also how difficult us the care for this type of aquarium?

Your not going to be able to do peacocks in a 55, especially with a pleco. Your good at 10-12 mbuna and a bristlenose.

How big do the mbuna's get and can you put Duboisi cichlid with them

Also after the tank has cycled, should they be gradually added/ half and half, or all at once

Thinking rock formation in the middle of tank, and a half tree stump on the side that has some caves. Then a couple tall plastic plants and a couple short ones around the front.

Honestly like all of them. Peacock...mbuna. I like the idea of having 10-12 eventually good sized fish. And hopefully 2 Pleco. Are there any that will not work together.

Also how difficult us the care for this type of aquarium?

Everything any aquarium needs except with 12 cichs and a pleco in a 55 you need to be more dedicated to a regular water change routine. In my own opinion and i speak for myself i think 12 5-6inch mbuna is too many let alone with a pleco aswell.

My 52g has 10 dwarf mbuna and im doing water changes every second day on this tank which isn't exactly needed but i want to and it genuinely makes me good and happy about their water.

I would probably be a once a week guy 25-50% water changes

How big do the mbuna's get and can you put Duboisi cichlid with them

It depends most stay under 5" but there are exceptions. And dubosi aren't very pretty once they loose their spots, and also they really need to be in a colony setup to establish a hierarchy. You could add just a group of them if you wanted though, but no other species IMO

I didn't know they lost their spots, that's what I liked most about them.

How about:

8-10-Mbuna's
2- Blood parrots
1- Bristlenose Pleco

Or maybe:

6-8- Mbuna's
2- blood parrots
2- redtail sharks
1- Bristlenose Pleco

Back
Top Bottom