New fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Km84

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to add a fish to my tank but have no idea what to buy. I have a 55g tank with a JD ( I think female), a blk convict ( I think male) and a Pleco. I would like something with lots of color and personality. But they need to be able to hold their own. My convict is kind of bossy but for the most part is harmless. They are both around 2.5-3'inches. Any suggestions?

You can go with Oscars. Also you can check out for green terror. But I'm not sure weather they do well with jd or not.

I have a JD and an Albino Tiger Oscar and the ATO grew so fast and eventually the JD was so afraid of the ATO that I had to separate with a new used tank. And that oscar will also eventually out grow a 55gallon tank unless he is alone or with a bottom feeder. They are great fish and amazing to watch, most interesting fish I have! But a super fast growing BIG fish. They can end up being like 12-15"!

I know incant have an Oscar . As interesting as they are I am aware of their requirements. But I would still like to find another tank mate for my fish. One with color.

I wouldn't add anything else if I were you. You have 1 medium sized fish and two fish that get fairly large. The JD gets about 10 inches and the pleco gets to about 18 inches, with that being said they need room to swim. All the fish in there have large bioload, so I wouldn't add anymore fish. Plus a 55 isn't even big enough for a pleco.

Firemouths work good with jds and cons in my experience. Mines very colorful with lots of personality

arup said:
You can go with Oscars. Also you can check out for green terror. But I'm not sure weather they do well with jd or not.

No no no no! Your tank while it may not look full now just wait until the fish get bigger. Tanks need to be stocked to the adult size of the fish JD 8-12" and Cons 6" .I wouldn't not add anymore fish to that tank there is not enough space in that tank for anything else but what you have in there already. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have to re-home that convict once the JD gets bigger.

Also what kind of pleco are talking here?! If it's a common pleco take it back to the LFS they can get up to 24" and need a 180 gallon tank. I would suggest bristle nose or some rubber lips.

Back
Top Bottom