new guy with a question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wmunson107

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi I'm new to the site has been lurking for a while reading and learning but I thought I'd make an accountant finally and post this because this is been on my mind:
I have a 50 gallon long that is finally ready for fish and i am really fond of the central american cichlids. especially t bars, fire mouths ,convicts and rainbow cichlids. But more so the tbars firrmouths and convicts, please give me some combination ideas based on whats healthy for the fish and what will look best because im torn.. and please be specific with gender, ps im running a fluval 406 canister and my tank has got plenty of driftwood, rock, and java fern.

The T Bar and Rainbow are quite peaceful for Cichlids. Firemouths can be a bit aggressive but there bark is worse than their bite really. Convicts are the most aggressive of the bunch but normally keep themselves to themselves unless breeding and then they can be quite nasty.

So I think all of them can live together fine as long as you don't have a pair of Convicts in there as they will kill all the other fish over time.

None of these fish get more than 5-6 inches in size so I think 4 of them can live in a 50 gallon tank nicely. Your filtration is also more than sufficient.

a nice alternative combination would be the peacock cichlids as they have pretty colours aswell . thats what im changing to . or maybe go with convicts :)

I have to admit doint get convicts with the other. I have a pair. And they realy nasty when they start breeding. They can kill your fish like its nothing.

Personally I'd keep a pair of Sajica's ( t-bar's ) and pair of Rainbows for a flash of colour - or just do a pair of Salvini's and some dither fish.
I've kept a pair of Rainbows and Firemouths together in a 63g, it didn't work out - surprisingly it was the Rainbows that where a problem, maybe just a one off.

Back
Top Bottom