new rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Called my lfs today to see if they had another female,so luckily I was in luck&got another nice looking female...in the process of acclimating both females into the 20g tall...the male is currrently in,a breeder net,after acclimating the ladies I thought I'd let em have the run of the tank for 4 to 5 days&let the male back into the population...

Nice! Keep us posted!

Try adding more hiding places? I know it works with apistos. Had a male panduro working on killing the female, added more hiding places and they are fine now and she has started looking good again, also try floating pipes.

Thanks for the suggestion...there are tons of breaks within the tank already...several large red wendti,amazon swords,aponogeton ulvaceous(not sure on the spelling)&jungle val..

So as I've not kept gbr's before I did read up on breeding behaviors...my pair have been bonded,so today after lights came on the mail chases the female until she darts behind some cover...so wandering if he's being overly aggressive trying to spawn with the female? Also her belly has become a bright purple&is this a sign that she's ready to spawn?

Yes they are ready to spawn the female just isn't 100% receptive yet. Btw those are some very nice looking rams.

I hope my rams can get some fry soon.. :/ it's only been a week..but still lol. She is ready to spawn but my male is very passive..and seems not to even care :/

Completely opposite here...reintroduced the mail&the original female became jealous of the new female claiming her mate but still ignoring his advances...

Here are some pics of my female, think she's ready? The male is right behind her in the 1st pic, that's why it looks weird and blurry behind her. (took forever to try and get a decent pic lol) The second one shows the color better but is more blurry :/

Attachments

• 2013-03-22_16-34-25_464.jpg
    2013-03-22_16-34-25_464.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 2013-03-22_16-32-18_147.jpg
    2013-03-22_16-32-18_147.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 64
I spoke too soon! Now mine is doing the same thing as yours! I did a decent sized water change and now the male is chasing her around all the time and she's cowering in the corners. Maybe he wasn't mature enough before?

- Only thing I could think of is maybe the water change stressed him out too much? And now he's aggressive?

Ended up taking the male back&trading for another female as they were out of males...thought I'd build a small group of females&intrduce another male later..

This is the first time I seen this fish in my area and I think they are now sold out..so I hope they can work things out.

Wondering how your wc's are done...for now I will have settled on weekly wc's at 25%...

Before my pair spawned, the male was chasing the female a lot. Then they spawned that day. No more chasing. I will say the rams are not harem breeders, and if you do introduce a male into your female harem, and a male decides to pair up with a female, well, all hell is going to break loose.
You should have 20 gallons per pair, but even two pairs in a 100 gallon tank might not work.

Before my pair spawned, the male was chasing the female a lot. Then they spawned that day. No more chasing. I will say the rams are not harem breeders, and if you do introduce a male into your female harem, and a male decides to pair up with a female, well, all hell is going to break loose.
You should have 20 gallons per pair, but even two pairs in a 100 gallon tank might not work.

Thanks for the advice,thought remove one female after the male has been introduced&has paired with either or..

Are my rams confused? Looking into my tank I see that 1 female is laying tons of eggs on a small piece of slate while the other female is hovering over the eggs eating them...will females do this actively? There is a slight chance that what I thought was a female is actually a male..

The observation of chasing after a PWC is typical in many cichlids; they like "clean water." Rams are particularly sensitive to water conditions so PWCs will often induce spawning.

Back
Top Bottom