New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid-dude

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got an awesome deal on a 140 gal tank. Only paying 100 bucks for it!! Picking it up tomorrow. Was thinking of doing some new worlds. Any suggestions for a tank this size?

Catfish! Anything around 8-12 inches is cool, you toss two of them in there and they can get along with any other type of fish, cichlids included! So unless you want something small, that the catfish could eat, it'd be cool.

Rainbow fish are cool, too. I like Tami River Rainbowfish.

I would go with African cichlids. There are better colors more variety and they are very they are entertaining to watch. Be aware they're addicting. I started with a 55 gallon and a few store bought fish. Now I'm collecting species not found in pet stores, im trying to figure out where to put another 150 gallon tank and my hubby to be jokes about a honeymoon at lake Malawi with nothing but swimsuits nets and hippo repellant.

I wouldn't waste that size tank on new world....but that's just me. While there are some beautiful nw/SA cichlids they just can't compare with African.

I have 180 full of africans. This is why im doing something different with this tank.

Couple pics of the tank. Just got it home.

Attachments

• image-4294731319.jpg
    image-4294731319.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 85
  • image-402207711.jpg
    image-402207711.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 69
If you are wanting to doSomething a but different than normal you could get some sunfish and other native fish.

I thought about that as well. Im not sure what im doing with it yet. Gotta build a stand and cycle it and ill go from there.

I could recommend hundred of new worlds but without a little direction I'd be typing for hours, so what are you looking for:

A pair of large fish?
A center piece fish with supporting cast?
A school of speices only fish?
A mixed tank of Cryptoheros species---best choice!
Hyper aggressive or mild?
Or something I between of all those choices?

A little direction and I'd be happy to recommend some stock lists, and good choice on the correct side of the pond.

Last edited:
Well i dont want oscars for sure. I would love a pair of large fish though. I qas thinking maybe a pair of jags. Its all up in the air atm.

I was also looking at festae. They are beautiful. If i got a pair of them could i put any other fish in with them?

Cichlid-dude said:
I was also looking at festae. They are beautiful. If i got a pair of them could i put any other fish in with them?

No, nothing with a pulse anyways.

I would recommend 2 pairs to start looking at Parachromis motaguense and Parachromis friedrichsthalli, especially since your looking at Jags. These have better color and temperment and the best part is the fry are worth money...unlike jags.

Attachments

• image-3771833505.jpg
    image-3771833505.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2377774379.jpg
    image-2377774379.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom