New tank-considering cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You could always do both. If you wanted to do cichlids with community fish you could get some rams or apistos as well as community fish. Just a thought, but it seems as though you might be set on africans.

I'm one if those guys that learn by seeing. I have a 55 gal mbuna:

Full tank-

image-420691917.jpg

These guys do dig!-

image-475285527.jpg

Just a little example. Hope it helps a tiny bit!

Nice tank smith. They do love to dig. I wake up to massive holes every morning. I never catch them in the act!

very nice tank both of you and yeah they will change you substrate scape daily its really cool though. smith in your tank did you stack your rocks with them leaning on the glass?

I have a red zebra male who after a water change gets so upset he digs a pit to the glass

very nice tank both of you and yeah they will change you substrate scape daily its really cool though. smith in your tank did you stack your rocks with them leaning on the glass?

Just the top rocks touch the glass where I can help it. They are set back a little on each.... I guess you could call it a "row".

where did you find those rocks? i live in wisconsin and most of my rocks came from back yards. a guy who i work with is going to bring me some field stone to add i am going to add more to the back and right side of my tank if your looking at it from the front, for more hiding spots. its always really cool seeing other peoples set ups

@Dorn- Yep! All the rocks have come right out if my NE Ohio backyard.

@Catoe- Make sure you really really REALLY wash your sand. It will probably make the water a little cloudy like any substrate anyways though.

temporarily until it settles then its normal until you aim a powerhead at it or pour water straight on it if you add water with the sand in tank aim the water your pouring in onto a flat rock so it doesnt hit the sand bed as hard and you will be fine sand is also a lot easier to clean as food and poo cant fall in the cracks it just rests on the sand so run a vac about and inch and a half from the sand bed and it sucks right up

Good deal. How much sand would you use. I'd kinda like the look of rocks on sand.

About an inch. Inch and a half. If I don't recall you said your tank is 60 gal. My tank is four feet long 13 inches width and I used 30-35 pounds of sand.

I'm really starting to think this is the way to go. We've got a much smaller community tank, but from why I've seen from you guys and on-line, this will allow me to have "visual" variety with much more activity. You guys just about have me sold! Plus, a great excuse to have a bit more fish... I'd love to see more pics as you take them.

I'm really starting to think this is the way to go. We've got a much smaller community tank, but from why I've seen from you guys and on-line, this will allow me to have "visual" variety with much more activity. You guys just about have me sold! Plus, a great excuse to have a bit more fish... I'd love to see more pics as you take them.

I was in your seat about a month ago. The more I read on cichlids the more I fell in love with them. Check my vids out cat. http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCGB8cgtO_NEMa_unLXZsX3Q?feature=guide

in my 75 which is 48"x18" i used maybe 65-70 lbs i wanted a thicker bed so i bought 2 bags of play sand. you have a bunch of options and just look through pics on here of peoples builds let me know if you have any questions ever about filtration, water flow, lighting etc. im not a pro but i do know my stuff.

Smith- the rocks in your tank are awsome wish i could find rock like that

Back
Top Bottom