new tank got a few questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big.Jon

Aquarium Advice Activist
So finally got my new tank. Going to start my fishless cycle in the morning. I have two small one inch african cichlids that have to go in here, but curious how many more fish I am going to be able to stock.
Tank
55 gal
Two 60 gal filters ( aqua flow 60 gal, 55/75 gal quite flow)
Would also like to put a pleco in here.

Any good bottom feeders or algea eaters I could add into here.

The general stocking rule is 1" of fish (full adult size) for each gallon. With extra filtration, you can go over this and still handle the bio load. HOWEVER, you still need to consider the fish compatibility and requirements. Don't just assume that you can stock 120" of adult fish because of filtration.

Congrats on the new tank, if your starting with Africans that will decide your stock list. I'm assuming they are mbuna being the most common african. When stocking aggressive fish like these some research and planning goes along way. The best way to stock most Malawi cichlids is 1m to 4-5f as this will reduce aggression towards the female fish and discourage hybridization in-between the species. With a 55g tank three species of mbuna can be chosen with a final stock of around 15-18 fish. They are hard to sex when young so purchase extras and regime when sex is determined or a hyper aggressive male is found. They also require alot of caves, cracks, and crevices. This will also help spread aggression around by enabling plenty of spots for fish to claim as home.

As far Plecs are concerned my favorite with mbuna is a bristlenose, stays small, works hard, andOwill defend himself when needed...last part might come up once of twice. Good luck they can
be difficult but the end result is rewarding. Any questions ask away Ive been breeding many years

People think they cant keep plecs with mbuna and that's simply not true,they're also other catfish that can be used with mbuna like Synodontis work and there's lots of different species. Theres alot
or options when choosing tankmates.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
Congrats on the new tank, if your starting with Africans that will decide your stock list. I'm assuming they are mbuna being the most common african. When stocking aggressive fish like these some research and planning goes along way. The best way to stock most Malawi cichlids is 1m to 4-5f as this will reduce aggression towards the female fish and discourage hybridization in-between the species. With a 55g tank three species of mbuna can be chosen with a final stock of around 15-18 fish. They are hard to sex when young so purchase extras and regime when sex is determined or a hyper aggressive male is found. They also require alot of caves, cracks, and crevices. This will also help spread aggression around by enabling plenty of spots for fish to claim as home.

As far Plecs are concerned my favorite with mbuna is a bristlenose, stays small, works hard, and will defend himself when needed...last part might come up once of twice. Good luck they can be difficult but the end result is rewarding. Any questions ask away Ive been breeding many years.

Only thing with the bristlenose (and possibly other plecos) is they need some driftwood to help digest.

Only thing with the bristlenose (and possibly other plecos) is they need some driftwood to help digest.

I have plenty of bristlenose without wood, theyre just a happy and healthy without having wood. Just feed them a quality wafer like NLS and your home free.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:

As far Plecs are concerned my favorite with mbuna is a bristlenose, stays small, works hard, andOwill defend himself when needed...last part might come up once of twice. Good luck they can be difficult but the end result is rewarding. Any questions ask away Ive been breeding many years

People think they cant keep plecs with mbuna and that's simu not true,they're also other cat that can b uaed with mbuna with Mbundu like Syndontis work between mbunA and synodontis. Theres alot or options when choosingtankmates

Thanks great info as always with hukit

I have a BN pleco in with my African cichlids and so far no one has even tried to bother him. I was kinda nervous to put him in the tank bc he is still small, but I think having lots of hiding spaces has helped.

Back
Top Bottom