New to cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddodad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I have setup a 70 gallon planted aquarium. Originally I was told no cichlids were compatible with my stockafter more research I see that was wrong.
I picked up 2 little blue rams last week and fell in love. I am now looking for some other compatible cichlids or dwarfs

Here is my current stock:
10 harlequin rasbonas
6 boesmani rainbows
1 butterfly pleco
A few trumpet snails
2 blue rams
1 platy

Any suggestions? I am open to almost anything

Cleithracara maronii (keyhole cichlids)
Laetacara dorsigera, curviceps, araguaiae
Dicrossus maculatus, filamentosa
Apistogrammas species (way too many to list)
Mikrogeophagus altispinosa (Bolivian rams)
Pelvicachromis pulcher, taeniatus
Amatitlania multispinosa (rainbow)
Aequidens pulcher (blue acara, can be a bit fiesty)
Cryptoheros sajica, nanoluteus
Pterophyllum scalare, altum (angel fish)
Symphysodon aequifasciatus (discus)
Ivannacara sp.
Taeniacara sp.
Mesonauta festivus (festivum)
Crenicichla regani, compressiceps
Biotodoma cupido, wavrini

Normally I'd recommend Uaru, but they destroy plants

I'll add more as I remember lol

That's more then I thought time to do some more research. I was told to avoid angels with snails. Thanks for the guidance

Thanks again this way things are more narrowed down so I can really make a wise selection for once.

Here is an older pic right after I planted. I will add a new one when I have a chance. The plants have grown/been moved around. I also have a few stone caves on order that should be in soon. I also attached a pic of the rams I just got

Attachments

• image-3646471253.jpg
    image-3646471253.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image-1685442068.jpg
    image-1685442068.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 91
  • image-1910579477.jpg
    image-1910579477.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 104
I just actually found a current pic here it is

Attachments

• image-3820646216.jpg
    image-3820646216.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 101
I would add a nice big piece of dritwood, you could even look at doing discus with a tank like that

Thanks for the help, I tought the piece in there was quite large I guess bigger is always better. I'm not really looking for discuss for this tank, my next one will be either complete discuss or a puffer tank.

Update. My lfs is getting in some red cockatoo cichlids soon. I love their look thinking of getting 2 of those. Any issue you guys see? I love how they look

Update. My lfs is getting in some red cockatoo cichlids soon. I love their look thinking of getting 2 of those. Any issue you guys see? I love how they look

Apistogramma cacatuoides prefer harems, so 1 male to 2-3 females, so I'd go with 3-4

A little update I found 2 amazing Bolivian rams without a price on the tank. I asked the manager she had no clue, she was alone and wanted a coffee. She said if I pick her up a coffee next door they were mine. So 2$ for these not bad.

Attachments

• image-3651368302.jpg
    image-3651368302.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 55
  • image-3391414.jpg
    image-3391414.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 50
  • image-1039514813.jpg
    image-1039514813.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 47
Since her father owns the place, and I've spent thousands if dollars there over the last 20 years they are not losing money on me in the long run, and her job is secure

Back
Top Bottom