New to Mbuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
tsk5035 said:
Ok. And the lfs is actually more of an aquarium store- Wet Pets and Friends in Cannonsburg, PA. I have been to zoos/aquariums that have less fish than this place! Lol

When I talked to the guy on the phone the other day, about how many fish I could put in a tank, he told me that they currently had 20-30 mbunas in stock

I go there all the time they are the best in the area other than Elmer's aquariums but that's really far

That pic is not of a yellow lab...

tsk5035, I would take any and all advice given by an LFS very carefully. While we all hope that they mean their advice well, often they are simply trying to make more money.

If you're going with an HOB filter, go with AquaClear... They're the best. Two AC110's should filter a 75g pretty well. If you're going with a canister, go with a Fluval 405 or Rena xP3... There are others of course, but those two are the best IMO (I own a fluval 305 and 405... read nothing but good things about the rena xp filters as well).

If it not a yellow lab than what is it ? Rookie

That's the fattest bumblebee I've ever seen, are you feeding the neighborhood kids to it? Joking of course just couldn't resist.

Lmao

You know in the back of my mind I was thinking the same thing.
My other one is very slender. He may have some kinda problem.
He was fat like that from the store. Hope it's not bloat.

Or maybe he eats to much honey. lol

Lmao

You know in the back of my mind I was thinking the same thing.
My other one is very slender. He may have some kinda problem.
He was fat like that from the store. Hope it's not bloat.

Or maybe he eats to much honey. lol

If he's eating it's generally not bloat. I have gone through this before and you'll see signs like spiting food, being reclusive , and stringy white pooh. I'm sure he's just a greedy feeder. Good looking fish though.

Hi pa people! I am orig from Washington pa :) I live in pgh now but still work down that way. Elmers has a huge used sale I think second sat of each month. Not quite sure, would have to check their site. I used to go to wet pets and they did have some awesome set ups. I think they moved tho from where they were? Look online too, I know alot of their stuff was overpriced....

Bl80 said:
Hi pa people! I am orig from Washington pa :) I live in pgh now but still work down that way. Elmers has a huge used sale I think second sat of each month. Not quite sure, would have to check their site. I used to go to wet pets and they did have some awesome set ups. I think they moved tho from where they were? Look online too, I know alot of their stuff was overpriced....

They both contain a wealth of knowledge but you are very right about overpriced items at wetpets. They didn't move and are a very reliable supplier. I would go to the one that is closest to you. But wetpets can order items for you if you want them and I'm not sure if Elmer's can do that.

I would go with 4-5 different fish, each with 1m-4-6 females. I'd feel comfortable with 20 fish total. Many more than that and you'd be entirely overstocked IMO
I'm glad someone finally mentioned the male:female ratio. It's not just how may Cichlids can I have. The ratio is one of the most important things when setting up a Cichlid tank, (I found out to late).
Not every LFS person can tell the difference between girls and boys. So read up on that part before you by. Also it's not the same with every Cichlid.
In fact with some, they look the same until they reach adolescents.
I'm lucky in the fact that my FS (not so L) will take back any accidental boys. I'm still trying to build up my female population. They keep getting beat up.
I would recommend getting all your female stock first. Let them grow up just a little before you add a few choice males.
Also with the Deco, Cichlids love to swim in and out of rocks and sleep in caves. But what I found is they love to have plants hiding where they sleep.
They feel more protected that way and the plants help separate the territories and it looks nice.
And congrats on getting the 75g instead of 30g. I only wish I had 2 75g tanks instead of 2 55g tanks

hdultra;1 224021 said:
Wendi How are your tanks doing.
My Tinfoil Barbs are doing great, they are growing steadily and are as friendly as ever.
My Cichlid tank isn't doing as well. I had 2 XL Blue Gouramis that came down with something, I don't know what. Out of nowhere their fins looked shredded and turned a bloody pink. Their eyes were blood streaked and
their mouths were a bloody pink too. One of them died that same day. The other is in the Hosp. tank. He is alive but barely eating. His fins have grown back but he's still pinkish and his eyes still have bloody streaks. But he doesn't act weak at all. But as long as he looks like he does and his appetite is low I won't put him in a tank with any other fish.
The Male Kenyi died, it was weird he was fine at the am check but when I did the afternoon head count, his fins were gone and he looked like he had hemorrhagic fever. He died within the hour, I tried to treat him but it was so fast. Then last week my Female Blue Cobalt, Wisteria, turn up dead. She was fine at bed time then in the morning she was dead I could tell she had been attacked. I have 3 more female Cichlids in Qt right now but they are small and I don't think they'd survive the boys yet. So I'm going to keep them separated until they grow larger and can defend themselves better.
But the good news is the female I have Simonne, was always sickly and I thought may have had Bloat. It turns out she was just starving, the others wouldn't let her come out to eat, or they'd pick on her.
Any way she's been in QT with the much smaller fish and she's thriving. Simonne's color is a much deeper orange instead of looking anemic. She's eating and playing with the other fish. She has grown a half an inch and she never hides anymore. But given the recent demise of my female Cichlid population, I'm not putting any girls in until they are all much larger and can defend themselves better.
I knew Cichlids were aggressive, but I thought was between the males. I didn't know that the male Cichlids would kill all the female Cichlids.
I think, maybe if I add larger females 4 at a time, they may stand a better chance of survival.
Adding a few at a time keeps getting them killed. I'm about ready to take my beautiful boys back to the LFS and start with girls only. It's just that they have grown up so beautiful. Each is a perfect specimen and I do love them. I guess I'm not sure what I should do about this:confused::confused::confused::confused:.
Any thoughts?

^^ Wow, you sound busy! Lol

I have the tank and stand in my hall way, the first coat of paint on the back of the tank, but that's all the further I've gotten so far. Lol

We doing a frac right now, so we've been doing 16/17 hour days and I just don't have time to get my sand washed and add rocks. I was planning on adding some fake plants to provide a little color as well as cover for the fish. We should be done within the next 10 days, so as soon as we're done working these long hours, I'm gonna work more on putting the tank together :)

And per your advice, I'll start my tank out by adding females and letting them adjust and grow some before adding males. Any other advice?

Thanks!

^^ Wow, you sound busy! Lol

I have the tank and stand in my hall way, the first coat of paint on the back of the tank, but that's all the further I've gotten so far. Lol

We doing a frac right now, so we've been doing 16/17 hour days and I just don't have time to get my sand washed and add rocks. I was planning on adding some fake plants to provide a little color as well as cover for the fish. We should be done within the next 10 days, so as soon as we're done working these long hours, I'm gonna work more on putting the tank together :)

And per your advice, I'll start my tank out by adding females and letting them adjust and grow some before adding males. Any other advice?

Thanks!

Only one that I can think of and that's avoid the Red Striped Zebras, which are neither red or striped. They are a beautiful bright orange. But they are more aggressive and territorial than any of my other male Cichlids. Sonny is beautiful and great to watch but he tries to make over half of the 55g tank his territory and picks fights with everyone even the female Cichlids. I'm fairly certain he's the one that's been killing my other Cichlids.
The Cobalt Blue Zebras are less aggressive and they are just as entertaining without the death toll. Both The Blue and Red Zebras are the same size and are the same in just about every way except the Blue are much mellower.
Good luck and enjoy

Back
Top Bottom