Newbie on cichlids need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackdempsey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gal with a jack Dempsey and a honey gourami the fish were given to me are they ok together and could I add any others if so what kind ?

That's like having a serial killer and a nun in a closet, it won't end well for the nun. A Jack Dempsey needs a minimum of a 55g by himself. Best to rehome him or upgrade tanks, the fish are on the complete opposite spectrum of aggression and don't belong together.

HUKIT said:
That's like having a serial killer and a nun in a closet, it won't end well for the nun. A Jack Dempsey needs a minimum of a 55g by himself. Best to rehome him or upgrade tanks, the fish are on the complete opposite spectrum of aggression and don't belong together.

If I get a bigger tank for the jd what would Be good for the 29 gal with the gourami?

You could do tetras, cories, rasboras...a lot of the small peaceful tropical fish are great

Joyler said:
You could do tetras, cories, rasboras...a lot of the small peaceful tropical fish are great

What about angels or are there any small like dwarf cichlid I could put in their if so could anyone add some pictures?

Im so glad you asked!! Hahaha...i will take any opportunity to talk about my babies! You could do cockatoo apistos :) the first is my male the second my female...they are beautiful, and are so fun to watch! They also stick closer to the bottom of the tank, except when feeding! Other than these two, you could do Bolivian, or German Blue rams...both are very beautiful as well! I want bolivians in my next tank :) does that help?

Angels, I'm less familiar with...I believe they are more aggressive and like to nip fins...but again I have no experience with them :)

Attachments

• image-3464229440.jpg
    image-3464229440.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 145
  • image-2238634408.jpg
    image-2238634408.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 133
Joyler said:
Im so glad you asked!! Hahaha...i will take any opportunity to talk about my babies! You could do cockatoo apistos :) the first is my male the second my female...they are beautiful, and are so fun to watch! They also stick closer to the bottom of the tank, except when feeding! Other than these two, you could do Bolivian, or German Blue rams...both are very beautiful as well! I want bolivians in my next tank :) does that help?

Angels, I'm less familiar with...I believe they are more aggressive and like to nip fins...but again I have no experience with them :)

Thanks and beautiful fish EXSPECIALY the first male

If I get a bigger tank for the jd what would Be good for the 29 gal with the gourami?

Jacks are some of my favorite fish, with a full grown adult hitting the 10"+ mark a 55g for mimimum for one or a 75g for a pair. They are large and aggressive and tankmates must be chosen wisely to prevent injury or death. I personally don't like solitary fish so my choice would be the 75g or larger. As for the 29g there's loads of smaller tropicals that would work.

Jackdempsey said:
Thanks and beautiful fish EXSPECIALY the first male

Thank you!

Ya, they are my pride and joy! :) and just for the future...there are a few strains! Mine happen to be triple reds, but there are two others that I know for sure...there is the double red and orange flash! So if you decide to go for cockatoos, just keep that in mind while hunting! And as a plug...HN1 and Severum_mama have some one occasion :) this breed is also easy to take care of, and fun to watch when courting!! But I look forward to seeing what you do with your tank!

I believe that angels require a 55 gal minimum and like alot of swimming room so a 4ft long tank would be best.

ah! prett cockatoos! the female looks just like mine, but my male lost alot of color being shipped and is still gaining color.

oh and angels are 29 gallon minimum and then you have to have very limited stock around them.

allaboutfish said:
ah! prett cockatoos! the female looks just like mine, but my male lost alot of color being shipped and is still gaining color.

oh and angels are 29 gallon minimum and then you have to have very limited stock around them.

Thanks for info bout angels

I don't have any of my current breeder veils but they are just basic wild type veiltails.

These are german gold x phil blue all from the same parents.

DSC_0358 by jetajockey, on Flickr
And some photos from last year (sold/rehomed all of these)
img_1396743_1_8124d80ea99e9e0f52ee327f3784a20c.jpg

img_1396743_2_af43c1efe4af9edc5cbdec5245f1d6a5.jpg

img_1396743_3_2f17897c8e658bc36e0a496750fbcb7b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom