Newbie to african cichlids.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The only African cichlids I would recommend for a 29 would be Tanganiykan shell dwellers, and some African riverine cichlids like Kribs, Jewels, or possibly buffalo head- we keep Steatocranus tinanti and they make up for lack of color with their cool personality and antics. To be honest, though, a 30 long or 40 BR would probably make a better tank for Steatocranus.

I guess they would, I was just thinking off the top of my head. J. marlieri get larger than the other Julie's iirc, so I wouldn't really consider those. Brichardi might be iffy IMO, but since previous generations of fry will help raise successive generations, I suppose they would at least get along for a while. :)

I was thinking J. Transcriptus... I know I kept some brichardi (daffodils) in my 29 wayyyyy back when I first started. I had 8 (adults) and never had any issues. They mainly stayed breeding in their big conch shells, similar to the way multies or brevis behave.

Wow, the pulcher daffodil we used to have were all over the place in a 75. I haven't kept brichardi but assumed the behavior would be much the same... maybe not!

I've seen pictures and articles of people having these on other forums ( that I've come across when trying to figure out what Fish we were going to put in our 55 when I rehomed tropicals) I've read ppl having them in with larger fish. Would they be ok with any mbuna? Putting one of my 55 in my sons room, and putting up a 52 FB hex ( 4 foot) that I started my cichlids in and just resealed. We are also getting my brother in laws 75 g I'll set up. The 55 will house hybrid juvies ( and some of wendi s) till we pick up the 75. But looking for something for the 55. We have lake Malawi in 140, lake Victoria in 90. Son has convicts in a 40 and moving to 55, so a dwarf of sorts needed for 40g breeder. And my lil green spotted puffer who is a mini :)

Back
Top Bottom