Newbie to cichlids, what to stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolej

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking of switching my 75 gallon to a cichlid tank. I have naturally higher pH in my tap water do figure instead of fightng it maybe work with it.

What would be good beginner stock that are colorful, not high maintenance and wont outgrow my 75 gallon?

Thanks
Nicole

I think you might like an all male African (Aulonocara) Peacock tank. A 75 gallon would be large enough for six or seven adults. Maybe a few Botia Loaches for the cleanup crew.

South american or african

First find out if you want to do south/central american or african. I prefer south american. Maybe check out some videos of tanks and see what species you like and whats compatable then make your decision

I should like to do african. Not sure if I want to do lake tanganyika of not. .I like the shellies and that sound if the fish are a bit smaller but I'm worried about finding fish to stock it.

I would recommend getting a bunch of Lake Malawi cichlids that vary in color. However, they can be pretty rude to each other, so you could also do a single red Oscar cichlid, but they might outgrow the tank. If you want peaceful cichlids, then angelfish and Ram cichlids are both colorful choices. Apistogrammas are also a good choice.

I think the male peacock tank mentioned by V227 is a great idea as they are hardy and colorful. A mixed Mbuna tank would also be fun for a beginner with lots of action, color, and the occasional fry that grow up to live in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom