Official 75g mbuna build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree on the jager heater. Mine is a 250 w. 30. On amazon.com keeps my tank at a constant 82 degrees

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just got my 75 set up and added a powerhead wave maker OMG my cichlids love it. I definitely recommend getting one! Its a fun ride for them :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A wave maker is definetly not in my budget, just the circulation pump itself barely!

Lol...well you might wanna get her a present of some sort to keep her mind off your fish shopping. Don't tell anybody of my secret ?

Here is what I'm thinking. I'm gonna get the x2 aqueon quiet flow 50/75 since they are cheap for now and after that I'm thinking I'm gonna buy a fluval 206 just for biological media and a few polishing pads.

What do yall think?

Here is what I'm thinking. I'm gonna get the x2 aqueon quiet flow 50/75 since they are cheap for now and after that I'm thinking I'm gonna buy a fluval 206 just for biological media and a few polishing pads.

What do yall think?

Sounds good. Hopefully the fish will all be small to start. For obvious reasons as far as waste production. I deal the aqueons will keep up for a while but adding that canister down the road will help tons. I'd actually look at the Rena filstar xp-l. Same price as 206 and much more room for bio media and polish pads. I have both so I can give info on each. The fluval is easier to put back together and never gets air inside which is great. The only gripe I have w the Rena is it does spit air if you don't put back together perfectly

Sounds good. Hopefully the fish will all be small to start. For obvious reasons as far as waste production. I deal the aqueons will keep up for a while but adding that canister down the road will help tons. I'd actually look at the Rena filstar xp-l. Same price as 206 and much more room for bio media and polish pads. I have both so I can give info on each. The fluval is easier to put back together and never gets air inside which is great. The only gripe I have w the Rena is it does spit air if you don't put back together perfectly

I do like the renas but I hear too many problems with them for sure. Especially leaks. Yes tons of room but I dono if I wanna risk coming home one day with a burn out heater filters and 35g of water on the floor + dead fish 0.o it doesn't sit right with me! But I do get what your saying for sure! And total cost now is down to 132.34!!!!! I feel accomplished today! That's with x2 50/75 filters, 300w jager heater, koralia nano 425, master test kit, and Kh/Gh test kit! Plus its free shipping!

Soo Dave called. He has

Tropheus sp. Elongatus broadzulu 8$ each
Labidochromis caeruleus lions cove 7$ each
Iodotropeus sprengerae 6$ each
I am ordering those after I cycle but he doesn't have

Cynotilapia mbamba nor
Pseudotropheus elongatus chailosi

What can I replace those with?

Site days he has cyno jalo reef which I though you wanted and many other awesome options! None get really big either

His web site says he has

Cyno sp lion Mara rocks
Cyno sp lion lupingu
Cyno hara
Labido joanjohnsonae
Labido mbamba (may be the cyno mbamba - diff places call diff names)

Labido chisumulae
Pseudo Saulosi

Look at this link below and it says you can do about 25-30 dwarf mbuna in a tank your size. Great info here. I'd start w 30 as you'll inevitably lose a couple or have to rehome. So I'd choose 3 in addition to the 3 he told you he has

I'd pick lion lupingu, lab chisumulae, and pseudo saulosi. That'd give a great mix of cool little diff types. I love my chisumulae and they'll give you some blue AND white in there. They're so funny w each other. I like the lupingu as males and females are visually stunning. And personally I think saulosi are the best looking mbuna of all both males and females. If you wanted something different you could try the labido joanjohnsonae. Cool blue and tan colors. Definitely one of a kind! All are under 10 bucks I think too!

http://www.africancichlidhub.com/dwarf-mbuna-requirements-species-list/#

I was actually fixing to go through what he had available! I've been running around paying bills all day. Thought i was gonna buy the equipment today but the wife said she wants to buy stuff Sooooo gotta wait till next 2 weeks

More time to plan and make sure you have everything in good order! The site has so many options. I just tried to single out some that stay smaller. There's also labido perspicax, hongi (little bigger overall), pseudo flavus, maingano. All stay small. Good luck! Let us know what you come up with and I'm sure we will give our opinion!

I would say so start with that and then buy a another one if need be. You can always add more. That's easy enough

Agreed! I saw someone recommend the pillow case method. I've yet to try that one. Sounds good though

Yeah I may try that. Seems easy enough for sure. Beats a bucket!

On a bright side I'm 1/50th the way there! Picked up 1 bag of sand and ill wash it tomorrow and hopefully I can atleast get the filters to start my cycle

Seems like 2 person job w pillow case! I feel u on your wife making you wait. Keep her happy. Yen minutes ago mine told me she hates my obsession, its not a hobby she said. I do all my maintenance when she works Saturdays so she doesn't even see that but she has a point. Every minute we are on the couch at night in always researching stuff as I'm never satisfied! And I look right past her to watch the big tank! I'm gonna work on it! Lol

Back
Top Bottom