Malawi Mbuna Questions (55 Gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gotcha. You should take a bigger look at victorians! Some are actually pretty compatible with mbuna! I have some victorians and they did excellent in my tank! Plus many of them are excellently colored! I'm looking at getting another 55 just so i can have a tank for a victorian species! I'd also suggest just looking at cichlid-forum.com at their species profiles, and you can look at mbuna, victoria and many other cichlids and see if there are more you like! Hopefully someone else with more experience with mbuna can chime in too.

So if they are the same size, water parameters, and aggression level, you can mix and match any of the Victoria and Malawi species, or are there still some that can't intermingle?

How about this one

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/3d-freshwater-aquarium-backgrounds/

I'm on it!! I guess I qualify lol :) or maybe not :hide:

Thanks Andrew! I appreciate you taking over! ;) i think i'll let you handle it from here! And Nolan, some victorians might not be compatible with the mbuna. Mine did pretty decent because they were smaller, so they didnt beat the others up, but they were extremely aggressive so they could hold their own. It really depends on the species you want and how aggressive it is. Just remember though that with any african tank, you will always get fighting. And you might have to deal with some dead/beaten up fish before you get their chemistry right.

So if they are the same size, water parameters, and aggression level, you can mix and match any of the Victoria and Malawi species, or are there still some that can't intermingle?

If you read the article I posted it states that it was wrote for a mbuna tank. When you get to adding new things or simply changing things then everything changes.

With Victorians, everyone has to be careful with stock because most of them all look alike that will cause war to death. Some of them are mild aggressive but super aggressive to their own kind. That also qualify s them ( super aggressive) to be that way to other species that look like them.

If you read the article I posted it states that it was wrote for a mbuna tank. When you get to adding new things or simply changing things then everything changes.

With Victorians, everyone has to be careful with stock because most of them all look alike that will cause war to death. Some of them are mild aggressive but super aggressive to their own kind. That also qualify s them ( super aggressive) to be that way to other species that look like them.

Well said. My male Victoria was a good inch or 2 smaller than all my male mbuna, yet he was the one fighting for dominance with the biggest fish.

Are there any big drawbacks of doing a 3d background? I know if you have some aggression problems, they can be alleviated by rearranging the tank, but you are kind of limited with a concrete cave structure.

Every so often I get one that will claim a spot in it if you make it like mine and they are a pain to get out. If you make one don't make it so they can go into it. Just make it for depth looks then put real rocks on front. I made mine to be a living quarters with all kinds of holes.

So do you think I could make both of my dreams come true and sub in a nyererei for the too aggressive salousi in my original list? They are roughly the same size and are listed as "mild aggressive" like the rest.

So do you think I could make both of my dreams come true and sub in a nyererei for the too aggressive salousi in my original list? They are roughly the same size and are listed as "mild aggressive" like the rest.

That can work in a 55 gallon but only one male and no other Pundamilia or you'll be upgrading to a 6' tank in a couple months. They are super aggressive to their own kind or anything that even comes close to looking like them. Believe me I know I have one myself.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130811_020725.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130811_020725.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 49
That can work in a 55 gallon but only one male and no other Pundamilia or you'll be upgrading to a 6' tank in a couple months. They are super aggressive to their own kind or anything that even comes close to looking like them. Believe me I know I have one myself.

That is a beautiful fish! Do you think the looks of the red top kimpura would cause aggression issues? If so, I could look into a different lab species.

- The acei needs more swimming space then what a 55 can offer. They also get bigger than 5" and interbreeding will be a problem keeping the two stocked together.

I currently have a tropical community tank, so when the Platies or Mollies have fry, they get eaten. If I don't plan on raising fry in an Mbuna tank, would the Acei interbreeding still be an issue?

I currently have a tropical community tank, so when the Platies or Mollies have fry, they get eaten. If I don't plan on raising fry in an Mbuna tank, would the Acei interbreeding still be an issue?

No I was just giving a warning that they can but they still need more swimming space then a 55 gallon imo

No I was just giving a warning that they can but they still need more swimming space then a 55 gallon imo

Ah okay. Yea there was some discussion after you said 55 was probably too small that somebody mentioned everyone always wants bigger after they start, so I'm looking around for a good deal on a 125 on craigslist.

Is there an inch-to-gallon ratio for Cichlids? Or is it more of a guess and check?

When you check into your 125g make sure to ask if its a 5ft or 6ft.. having that extra ft will make a big difference..

Nyererei wise mine couldnt stay in a 55g even as a youngster had to buy a 125g not even 6mths after adding my fish bc.my nyererei was constantly locking lips .. mine is from the same dad as Andrews and honestly the females even though they are silverish brownish greenish lol arent that ugly also there is a fish looks very similar and the females are a umm i think yellow and the males are milder tempered ill find the link for you ..

When you check into your 125g make sure to ask if its a 5ft or 6ft.. having that extra ft will make a big difference..

Nyererei wise mine couldnt stay in a 55g even as a youngster had to buy a 125g not even 6mths after adding my fish bc.my nyererei was constantly locking lips .. mine is from the same dad as Andrews and honestly the females even though they are silverish brownish greenish lol arent that ugly also there is a fish looks very similar and the females are a umm i think yellow and the males are milder tempered ill find the link for you ..

Awesome! Thanks. I love the looks of that yellow rock krib. I found a couple of deals on 75 gal tanks but they are only 4 ft long. You think even with the extra depth the 6 inchers will be too cramped?

Awesome! Thanks. I love the looks of that yellow rock krib. I found a couple of deals on 75 gal tanks but they are only 4 ft long. You think even with the extra depth the 6 inchers will be too cramped?

Yea the reason the acei wont fit is bc they get bigger and like to swim long range in the current mine are like mayb 2inches and they constantly make laps in the tank and swim against the current my powerhead throws out ... i do mean constantly until i cut off the lights

I personally like the mwanza gulf male and female the best... ;)

Im jealous Andrew showe his nyererei off i gotta show my baby off too...lol

62660-albums11865-picture53226.jpg

Back
Top Bottom