ok this is wierd!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluebead442

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
alright..a few weeks ago i had a problem with the cloudiness of the water,,iv done numours tests and always came back as a good positive reading,,iv noticed for a while now that when the aquarium light is off the water gets extremly cloudy,,,turning it on does eventually make the water clear...this is no joke lol...any advice?

What color is the cloudiness, white, brown, or green? That will help decide where the cause of the bloom came from.

its a white haze..weve already had this discussion a few weeks ago and now i think its just a repeat...is there something out there that will remove the cloudiness??

If it's white that's being caused by a bactiera bloom, there are reasons behind that and has nothing to do lights on or off. What are your actual water results, looking for specifics? How long has the tank been set up?

bluebead442 said:
its a white haze..weve already had this discussion a few weeks ago and now i think its just a repeat...is there something out there that will remove the cloudiness??

Sounds like a bacteria bloom. PWC of 25-50% over a 3 day period should clear it up.

Did you just change out filter media, big cleaning in the tank (gravel, decco, etc)? Removing bacteria via any of those things can cause a bloom.

its been running for bout 3 months now all levels are fine the last time i changed the filter cartridge was bout a month ago or more

i have not vacumed the tank in a few weeks cuz im just nervous im cleaning too much..

its a 50gal tank... how much should i change..and should i add water conditioner??

ok thats the brand im using... now how often should i change the filter media??

bluebead442 said:
ok thats the brand im using... now how often should i change the filter media??

It's the best IOM.

How do you preform PWC's, buckets or Python (hose on faucet)?

What kind of filter do you have (name brand info helps)?

I never change my filter media, I wash/rinse them out in water removed from the tank during a PWC. Bacteria live mainly in the filter media, remove it and you remove the bacteria which can cause a mini cycle or bloom.

i use buckets but pour slowly... im using an aqueon filter with the large filter for up to a 75gal i have rinsed the filter before but found that the problem has gotten worse..

bluebead442 said:
i use buckets but pour slowly... im using an aqueon filter with the large filter for up to a 75gal i have rinsed the filter before but found that the problem has gotten worse..

Yep, I use buckets and that works, but don't rinse the filter cartridges in tap water, only used tank water. Tap water kills the bacteria.

Looks like that filter uses 2 cartridges, so rinse/wash them off each time you do a PWC. If they're getting really bad, just replace 1 cart at a time at least 2 weeks apart so bacteria can build up in the new filter cart.

If you're ever looking to replace the Aqueon, consider a canister filter or Aqua Clear HOB power filter (like yours, only better IMO).

ok great tnx i app the advice ill continue on trying various ways of what your telling me ..

Back
Top Bottom