Oscar and frontosa?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Astro.Oscar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Was wondering if anyone had any experience with having an Oscar and frontosa in the same tank. I've been thinking about getting a frontosa of a similar size as my oscar, but I don't want them to act aggressively towards each other. Thanks!

Not to sure if you are able to keep them in the same tank... If you do, I'd imagine it'd have to be pretty large. How big of a tank do you have?

Well I have a 55gal and he is still a rarely small Oscar, comparing to how large they will get. He is about 3 inches. He has tankmates that are bluegills, silver dollars, and one spotted sunfish. All of them are similar in size

I really don't think your stock will work out in the long run. Oscars usually get between 12 and 16 inches, and a standard 55 gallon tank will not be large enough for them to turn around in. More than likely, too, your other fish will become food.

The only fish that I have heard that can be semi-reliably kept with Oscars are either Jack Dempseys or convicts.

Thanks for letting me know, when the time comes I'll most likely get a larger aquarium for the big fella. So I'll be careful choosing his tankmates from now on.

I know several kind that u can keep with oscar like
Firemouth,
Bala shark,
Plecos,
Silver dollar,
Severum,
Parrots,
Blue acara,
Jack dempsey,
Tinfoil berb,
But not sure of frontosa. And never heared they kept together. Oscars are new world cichlids while frotosa belongs to african. Mixing up can be a problem but u can ask other experts over here for sure.

Wow I almost forgot that they are african cichlids! Maybe i should rethink a tankmate then. A firemouth sounds like a good one

Yup firemouths are one of the great tankmates that can go with oscars.

I think a fire mouth would be too peaceful. Please remember that oscars are known to grow close to an inch a month! A 55 isn't going to last long, especially with all of those fish in it

You can put lots of different fish mates with the Oscar , even more aggressive ones. Just make sure they are bigger cause oscars grow FAST and anything that fits in its mouth, it probibly will fit it.
Ps: I love me some oscars :)

My buddies are doing well. My oscars are 5" in size and firemouth is near bout 4" and they hav no probs with each other in same tank.

Back
Top Bottom