Oscar Eating Habits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acewiza

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone know if Oscars are smart enough to know what "NOT" to eat? My young one (~5") turned up flat on his side at the bottom of the tank yesterday morning, but still alive. The evening before he appeared gorged like I've seen him before, as if he'd eaten several minnows at one meal. At the time I assumed at least one of the smaller tank-mates was had for dinner, but yesterday's morning roll call showed all present and accounted for, with the Oscar flat on the bottom.

Water is good and nobody else had any problem. He did not appear to have any injuries, and by this morning seems to have fully recovered. WTF?

If it's in the tank and they see it. Its food. You're in control of feeding them and minnows isn't a suitable choice unless you've need them yourself. Keep it all out of the tank until it's feeding time. Although it's fun to watch them eat, their staple should be cichlid pellets with the occasional live fish max 1 time a week

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

OK, so I'll take a WAG and say maybe he decided to fill up on snail shells that didn't agree with him. That's about the only thing I can imagine he might have ingested. They get live food once every two weeks. Hope he learned his lesson. :facepalm:

Haha I wouldn't count on a lesson learned. Their eyes are bigger then their stomach so to speak! I can't see them eating snails unless there are snails in them but even then, if they are pond snails, they crush very easily

Yeah, I find it hard to believe as well. No live plants. The only other thing he could possibly get in his mouth is the gravel. It's really still a mystery AFAIK.

If it fits in their mouth, it must be edible until it's not.

I've seen my Oscar eat six tank mates and four or five frozen cubes of beef heart. He couldn't close his mouth but he ate it

Yeah, I find it hard to believe as well. No live plants. The only other thing he could possibly get in his mouth is the gravel. It's really still a mystery AFAIK.
They can eat gravel. Its why I like sand in my Oscar tanks

Did you change or add anything to the tank. Oscars will also sulk when not happy with something. Just like a kid having a temper tantrum. I have seen many posts on here of some ones Oscar just laying on the bottom when their tank was rearranged or a new tank mate was added. They really are like a 2 year old child.

My betta Chinchou* swallowed a piece of gravel and suffocated! I feed him 3 pellets every day like the pellets said to, and the dumbo decided to kill himself! So I'm personally not surprised!!!!!!

*It was blue with yellow tips, like the pokemon, hence the name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom