Oscar help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddiienno

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay so I bought 2 oscars about an inch in size. They seem to be just sitting on the bottom of the tank. When I walk over to the tank they swim over and then when it's feed time they eat and are lively. Just wondering why they seem to just hang in the corner at the bottom for now.

Water readings:
Ammonia: .25
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 40
Ph: 7

What is the size tank and filtration? You need to do a 50% water change fast because of the ammonia being up in the .25 range. Two oscars should be in a 125 6 ft tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is the size tank and filtration? You need to do a 50% water change fast because of the ammonia being up in the .25 range. Two oscars should be in a 125 6 ft tank.

+1 this is accurate. To answer your question, oscars often will lay on the substrate and "pout" when introduced to a new home and sometimes even during water changes. Just call it part of their personality.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Its a common new Oscar behavior. Nitrites are high and indicate a not fully cycled tank. Oscars do not tolerate ammonia well at all, or trites or trates for that matter. Healthy Oscars can grow an inch a month. Really hope this is a 55 to start with plans of upgrading. Most here will disagree but I have seen a pair of adults kept in a 75, 125 would be ideal.

In a 55 with 125 waiting in the wings..did a 50% water change and will keep doing daily until I see the ammonia come to 0. The tank is cycled it's been up and running for over a year. I have a eheim 2217 do filtration.

The tanks by a window and gets a lot of sun light not sure if that's why my Trites are high but will keep doing water changes daily until things are where they should be.

In a 55 with 125 waiting in the wings..did a 50% water change and will keep doing daily until I see the ammonia come to 0. The tank is cycled it's been up and running for over a year. I have a eheim 2217 do filtration.

Good. Thought they were in a 20 or smaller lol. Good luck. If u have anymore questions just ask away.

Back
Top Bottom