Oscar in 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
I know the min. Is 75gal but I heard they do fine in a 55gal a long as they're the only fish in there. Also I was thinking was breeding guppies and using them as SNACKS because I don't wanna get those fat goldfishes.

its the width you have too wory about, when its full grown it would be very hard for it to turn.
you would have to do a lot more wc's for a smaller tank with an oscar.

gman42 said:
its the width you have too wory about, when its full grown it would be very hard for it to turn.
you would have to do a lot more wc's for a smaller tank with an oscar.

:(. Cant buy a larger tank, parents won't let.

I have a 17 inch Oscar with a jack Dempsey in a 55 gallon, I change my water 3 times a week, just a pwc of about 10-15 gallons , water parims are good, and as long as the fish was in the 55 for its hole life it wouldn't know any different and it can be fine and healthy, (soon gettin 180g or 250g tank for her)

Attachments

• image-3760808087.jpg
    image-3760808087.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 126
  • image-3945821432.jpg
    image-3945821432.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 132
The guy told me it was a 60 gallon but once I got it home I did the measurements and it's just a 55

I have a 17 inch Oscar

How are you measuring that fish? I've never in all my years of breeding oscars seen or heard of a fish that large, especially based on his previous living conditions. The largest oscars I've measured was verified at 14.1", I'd love to seem some pictures of that fish on a tape measure...otherwise I'm calling shenanigans.

KRAKEN said:
I have a 17 inch Oscar with a jack Dempsey in a 55 gallon, I change my water 3 times a week, just a pwc of about 10-15 gallons , water parims are good, and as long as the fish was in the 55 for its hole life it wouldn't know any different and it can be fine and healthy, (soon gettin 180g or 250g tank for her)

That's awesome then. Thanks but me I'm only keeping the Oscar alone

I couldnt find a tape measure lol but I know that a Xbox video game case is aprox 12 inches long, it is atleast 4-5 inches longer than the case, as soon as u get a tape measure I'll put a pic up

Attachments

• image-2435113208.jpg
    image-2435113208.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 104
  • image-86728160.jpg
    image-86728160.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 112
He was swimming in the second pic so his tail looks a lot smaller

Well now I feel dumb^ .... With my inaccurate measurements. But thank you for the correction jetta=)

This might be the funniest thing I'll read all day. Measuring a swimming fish through the glass with an incorrectly sized xbox game! Haha

Well now I feel dumb^ .... With my inaccurate measurements. But thank you for the correction jetta=)

Sorry I had to call you out on this one, I've heard so many people talk about their monster oscars over the years and when it comes time to show pics...poof it's a 12" fish. Anyways good luck with him, keep up the water changes and hopefully you'll gain some ground on the HLLE.

I have seen a oscar that was 20 inch long albino. I was shocked. He was really big.

Thing is 12inch is a lot ;) I've seen zoo tanks with oscars upto 18inchs no bigger than. an these fish have usually been donated as they have out grown owners tanks

Back
Top Bottom