Oscar tank PLEASE HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1st, of all u hav 2 oscars bout 9" in a 55g tank. Which is not good at all. 1 single oscar needs minimum of 55g tank.try to get a tank near 100g or something like that.
2nd, oscars r very messy eaters.they waste lots of food during feeding time.and large oscars produce a lot of waste.
3rd, oscars hav a high bioload which needs a very good and real effective filtration atleast 10times more than ur tank volume.
If u hav a 55g tank u need a filter like minimum of 550gph or more.
4th, don't overfeed them as foods r equally responsible to make ur water cloudy
5th, cyphon ur tank weekly. 50% of water change is recommended.it helps to keep ur water clean as well as give ur oscars ammonia free environment which is good for them.
Hope this info help

KRAKEN said:
I've had these fish sence they were under a inch and started in a 20 gallon, and I hate to admit it, but I'm attached to these fish, Bonnie is the female and clyde is the male, the tank is not newly set up, it's about 2 months sence I had to drain and re-seal it, I have my eye on a fluval FX5 which is a canister filter that pumps 607 gph and costs about $370, i just have to wait till I can save, until then I plan on making a large bio filter to keep Bonnie and clyde healthy

You can get the fx5 on amazon for 228.00!!! I've got one and my water sparkles!!! And I've got 2 oscars as well

Oscars grow fast about a Inc per month I rehomed my. Felt sad about it so a friend of my he has a 200g much better. And he is so happy swimming in that tank. Compare to my 55g

For now until I buy a canister filter I have a big power head conected to a hose that runs into a container with over 3 liters of media such as bio balls and bio rings and that fluffy filter stuff, and gravel, after that it comes out of the container into a even larger container (bowl) filled with bio rings and that fluffy stuff and gravel and the bowl has aqua tubing coming out of it 3x, so this is a pretty massive bio filter,

To much filtration. Can cause a problem. as long you think you or doing good it's fine but you have. Lots going on there.

Dreamingdragon said:
To much filtration. Can cause a problem. as long you think you or doing good it's fine but you have. Lots going on there.

What kinda problems can over filtering cause?

A little more than six hours later... Crystal clear water....

Attachments

• image-382893439.jpg
    image-382893439.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 85
I have no back round and what is behind it is unfinished basement walls with dirt all over them, My ph levels are correct, but I it looks 10x better then it did b4

See how bad it was before?

Attachments

• image-3519293330.jpg
    image-3519293330.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 84
Yea it's horizontal still, should I put it vertical?

I would try to upgrade as soon as you can to at least a 100 gallon but the tank does look nice.

Thank you^ :) and I'm going to wait a little longer instead of getting a 100 I'm just going to go get a 200

Back
Top Bottom