Paired Angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have never owned Angelfish before, so I figured I'd ask before they get too much larger..

I have two black veiled tailed Angels and one platinum blue/cobalt angel. I bought three in hopes that two pair off... Those two will go into my 55 gallon, the other one will stay in my 46.

My questions are... How long does it usually take angels to pair off, and how do you know when they've paired off?

Mine are about three/four inches at the moment. Right now they all pretty much stuck within 6 inches of each other, except when they are foraging for food. Here are some pics.

img_1749985_0_d8d0e245d9e4c688779a29571153dd7c.jpg

img_1749985_1_c2997042c6793f27c223e72d15045d59.jpg

It depends. My angels paired off at like 3 inches, some of them wait longer. If none of them have paired yet, they may all be the same gender. I would wait for awhile though and see if it happens when they are a bit bigger. Even if you don't get a pair, its likely that 2 will bully the 3rd eventually, but that might not be until they are more like 5 inches sometimes. It depends on the individuals.
They are all gorgeous fish though. :)

You'll know if/when they pair off, the male will be particularly aggessive towards the odd one out, and once they lay eggs both of them will be aggressive to the odd one.

I have had a trio form, once, so it's possible. I didn't watch them spawn, but they all took turns guarding and tending the eggs. After that round of eggs they went back to normal and made a pair and attacked the other.

Yeah, I have 3 who get along too. From what I know, it doesn't usually work that way though. But it is possible. My 3 don't take turns with eggs, but the pair doesn't mind the 3rd and still lets him swim around.

Back
Top Bottom