Please help ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadaas

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am having an issue confirming the below species. I'm not sure if it is a maingano or perileucos or some kind of johanni or whatever mix. I was told i had 1 male and 4 females but not so sure about that. I have attached 2 pictures of what I think is the male, followed by 2 pictures of what could be either another male or a darkly coloured female. Although the colouring is distinctly different to the fish in the first 2 pictures I'm not sure if it is a male or female because it is quite aggressive and territorial and is distinctly darker than the other females. Any advice is greatly appreciated. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395409686.822290.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395409879.786488.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395409926.726732.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395409987.427905.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395409987.427905.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 118
so the Maingano (or electric blue Johanni) is a type of Johanni, I believe that in the Maingano, both the males and females are the electric blue. In the normal Johanni, the females are orange. I don't really know much about the Maingano as I've never kept them personally, although I've read that they are somewhat less aggressive than the regular Johanni. The perileucos I am not familiar with. To me, looking at pictures on the net, it appears that you have electric blue Johanni or Maingano, and the first picture is the dominant male and the second one is a female or nondominant male. Hopefully someone who has had them can tell you more.

Mainganos have clean light blue strips whereas johannis have more dotted lines

Only way to tell is if it started out yellow, johanni females and juvis are yellow

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i have some what of the same thing going on i bought 2 electric blue johannis and one turned out to be much larger with clean blue lines and a lot more color than the other i think one is acually a johanni. your pics look identical to mine

Back
Top Bottom