Predatory fish for 240 litres/64 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most if not all of those will be limited to a pair or single fish in that tank. You're likely better off sticking to a species only. Why such an aversion to make and female pairs?

Pair of astatheros rhytisma would get my vote.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

the rhytisms should NOT have been in my list of wet pet only. Sorry.

but on another note sorry for the stubborness of me wanting many big cichlids haha, but do severum and green terror come from the same lake ? and would maybe congo tetras be alright with the two ? and bristlenose plec?

They are both south American. you cant really say lakes with sa/ca all though some come from the same waters or collection points. Mogurako would be able to explain it better than me. As far as the green terror and severum again I have never tried this. Severums are fairly peaceful compared to most sa/ca's.

I know some will disagree but severum / green terrors are so boring and over done. There's so many other fish out there, why do the same things that everyone else is doing?

I would shy away from the larger cichlids and look to see if you you can get any fish from the following Central American genus':

- Amatitlania
- Archocentrus
- Cryptoheros
- Theraps
- Thorichthys

There's also a good amount of South American options but you seem to be leaning Central so well start there.

you mean male and female pairs ? , i do find it interesting and i want to but i live in a small town and shipping fishes is not really an option for me , and i would only be keeping 1 tank :/, but wow thats a real bummer, then i must think of something else, but if i would to get a pair , couldnt i get away with a green terror pair ?
might aswell just get a green terror and a severum and some dithers

could you guys maybe suggest something else with the severum and green terror which is a cichlid ?
If you cannot ship, then you should be checking into what your local fish store has available and make an educated decision from what selection they have. Most common are convicts, firemouth, jack dempsy and severum.

Moguraku , i really didnt know that combining these 2 cichlids was a thing, and for your information these two cichlids are my alltime favorite :) , thats why i really want to have them together believe it or not the convict cichlid is a close third of my alltime favorite , but i have to let you know i am horrible with latin names and when i google these you posted i get multible cichlids ? , but i might look into an all male south american tank for these 2 are in south america , i will post again what cichlids could be available to me :) ,

crazy4fids , there is only one small petstore where i live , and i t seems too me that not a whole lot wants cichlids in this place where i live :S , but it would be a fun experience to try :)

The names I posted are the Genus names not the species name so you're correct multiple names will come up.

Moguraku , i really didnt know that combining these 2 cichlids was a thing, and for your information these two cichlids are my alltime favorite :) , thats why i really want to have them together believe it or not the convict cichlid is a close third of my alltime favorite , but i have to let you know i am horrible with latin names and when i google these you posted i get multible cichlids ? , but i might look into an all male south american tank for these 2 are in south america , i will post again what cichlids could be available to me :) ,

crazy4fids , there is only one small petstore where i live , and i t seems too me that not a whole lot wants cichlids in this place where i live :S , but it would be a fun experience to try :)

South Americans don't typically do well in groups of random species. Let me add perspective: I'm working on a 120 gallon South American tank right now, and I will only have 3 different species of cichlid in the tank. 2 of those species don't get over 6"...

A breeding pair of one species, and some large tetras is the best way to go when doing South Americans IMO and IME

Back
Top Bottom