Predatory fish for 240 litres/64 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
if you want to do 1 each I would just do 1 terror and 1 severum. That's 2 8 to 10" fish and maybe a school of congo tetras or danios. I error on the cautious side. I have 3 fish right now and 3 55 gallon tanks no tank mates. I think Rivers would be more help on the terror as he keeps one. Im just not sure on the bio load on them.

Could i not get medium sized cichlids with the 2 ? Like firemouth , convict or jewel?
How big of a school of congo tetras or danios?

Just so you're aware none of these cichlids you choose are predatory and should not be fed "feeder fish"

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Mog is 100% right. I should have read the op completely. Why not do a wet pet like the 1st thing you said. That's what I have and they interact with you. But I wouldn't feed live feeders. Its not nutritious and can lead to other problems. There is a thread I started a while back about getting a saum and there are some great suggestions in it. I'll post the link in a min.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I will never feed feeders :), we were mainly talking about option number 3 that i had in mind , i did want a single wet pet but was afraid i would find it interesting the first few months then i would have wanted to add something else. I was just curious what "big" predatory fish could go in this tank , but it seems i have to have a bigger tank . i know im really pushing the limits here but why not ask ... Do you guys think i could have these cichlids together ?

Green terror
Severum
Firemouth
Convict
Jewel

I could swap some of these out, but i will def check your thread out mikem :)

Just a warning, I've heard stories about the green terror. Make sure you have a secure lid because I've heard they are jumpers.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

I will never feed feeders :), we were mainly talking about option number 3 that i had in mind , i did want a single wet pet but was afraid i would find it interesting the first few months then i would have wanted to add something else. I was just curious what "big" predatory fish could go in this tank , but it seems i have to have a bigger tank . i know im really pushing the limits here but why not ask ... Do you guys think i could have these cichlids together ?

Green terror
Severum
Firemouth
Convict
Jewel

I could swap some of these out, but i will def check your thread out mikem :)

While their young yes, long term no. Since you no longer want a predatory fish I would suggest picking South or Central American and going from there. You have a fair amount of options if stocked correctly, picking a random mish-mash of fish isn't one of those options. See what fish are available at your LFS or online for sale, then we can help with a stock list from there.

I can't really speak on the South American side so much but I can help with Central American stocking.

Of those 5 Severum and the terror are the only ones that arent central americans right ?
Is blue acara central american ?
I first thought of a central american tank, might be something to look into

The jewel is African riverine

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it safe to combine central americans with south americans ?
Are there any lakes that are safe to combine

Is it safe to combine central americans with south americans ?
Are there any lakes that are safe to combine

If you're experienced maybe, but personally I wouldn't recommend it. There's no point going back and forth with the will this or that work.

Like I was saying earlier figure out if you're going to buy your fish in store or from an online store/breeder. See what they have available, find what you like and post your options on here. Then we can help you figure out what to get.

If you're experienced maybe, but personally I wouldn't recommend it. There's no point going back and forth with the will this or that work.

Like I was saying earlier figure out if you're going to buy your fish in store or from an online store/breeder. See what they have available, find what you like and post your options on here. Then we can help you figure out what to get.

+1 I'm looking at cichlids myself. I'm sticking with Peacocks/Haps because mixing different Lakes is going out on a limb and a dangerous game to play if you are not very experienced with cichlids.

Caleb

Might have a slight obsession with my fish

I will most likely then go with central americans only , ordered online , i will post a list of species that can be aviable to me later today , but another random question how many male convicts would fit in that tank ? And a community of haps are too big for my tank right?

I will most likely then go with central americans only , ordered online , i will post a list of species that can be aviable to me later today , but another random question how many male convicts would fit in that tank ? And a community of haps are too big for my tank right?

Really depends on the rest of your stock. Also yes, your tank is not ideal for Haps.

Alright guys i went through a list of central american cichlids that could be available to me and narrowed it down to cichlids i would like to have in my tank , note that the latin names MAY be wrong i don't know, i just copied them from the fishes profile, remember all males , and say if accidentally there would be one female would it be bullied ?

but please give me a stocking idea :)

Convict (Archocentrus nigrofasciatus)
Firemouth (Thorichthys meeki)
Cuban cichlid (Nandopsis tetracanthus)
Jack dempsey (Cichlasoma octofasciatum)
Lyons cichlid (Amphilophus lyonsi)
Pearl cichlid (Amphilophus rhytisma)
Red terror (Cichlasoma festae)
Salvini Cichlid (Cichlasoma salvini)
White cichlid (Vieja argentea)

Wet pet only in your size tank
Lyons cichlid (Amphilophus lyonsi)
White cichlid (Vieja argentea)
Red terror (Cichlasoma festae) Male may be too big for your tank.

Most if not all of those will be limited to a pair or single fish in that tank. You're likely better off sticking to a species only. Why such an aversion to make and female pairs?

Pair of astatheros rhytisma would get my vote.

you mean male and female pairs ? , i do find it interesting and i want to but i live in a small town and shipping fishes is not really an option for me , and i would only be keeping 1 tank :/, but wow thats a real bummer, then i must think of something else, but if i would to get a pair , couldnt i get away with a green terror pair ?
might aswell just get a green terror and a severum and some dithers

could you guys maybe suggest something else with the severum and green terror which is a cichlid ?

Back
Top Bottom