Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What ever hikari does to theirs, I honestly haven't looked.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sooo, out of interest why do you say they won't spread diseases? Is it the length of time you have used them? First hand experience so to speak?. In some web searches so far it seems there are posts on either side that they can/can't be a problem but not much research?.

It claims to have a 3 step sterilization and be free from parasites unwanted bacteria and foul odors. It also claims to be gut loaded with vitamins. I have been using this brand for 2 years with no problems.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1413073452290.jpg
    1413073452290.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 49
Like I said before I have been keeping fish for over 15 years, I've used Hakari Bloodworms the entire time with out issues.

The only time I've had issues is when I get a bad batch of red wigglers or black worms that I didn't rinse well enough.

Frozen Hakari bloodworms however 100% safe.

It claims to have a 3 step sterilization and be free from parasites unwanted bacteria and foul odors. It also claims to be gut loaded with vitamins. I have been using this brand for 2 years with no problems.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is also that as well, no other brand does that. I have a friend who is a Hakari Rep and their Bloodworms are 100% legit.

Hi, many thanks for replies and good information. What I'm getting to is would you continue feeding them to an unhealthy fish? ie would feeding blood worms increase or decrease their chances would you say?

I guess there would have to be some assumptions in there if the packaging says if they were irradiated (as well as frozen), and assuming feeding correctly / not too often. Thoughts?

Hi, many thanks for replies and good information. What I'm getting to is would you continue feeding them to an unhealthy fish? ie would feeding blood worms increase or decrease their chances would you say?

I guess there would have to be some assumptions in there if the packaging says if they were irradiated (as well as frozen), and assuming feeding correctly / not too often. Thoughts?

It would have to depend on what the illness is for me, no matter what the box states. Something like HITH/HLLE, I would look to change over to a paste type food or a frozen that I could melt and re freeze (beefheart or brine shrimp) that I could add meds to like metro/flagyl.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

I stop feeding any unhealthy fish blood worms and feed lightly a high quality staple pellet like NLS.

Also beef heart isn't that great for fish, their digestive systems aren't designed for land based proteins. Only fish, plant, crustacean and insect based proteins should be offered.

When I have used blood worms I use freeze dried, at most once a week. I don't the spread of disease is something you need to be too concerned, if there were contamination it would likely be a parasite.

The issue is nutrition. It's a treat, not a dietary supplement. (For most cichlids, some can handle it) but it's a lot if protein, and a lot of fat.

NLS (New life spectrum), is a balanced diet for almost any fish.

It took me a while to release how important fiber really is to fish, especially growing fish. If they have enough fiber in their diet, they shouldn't get bloat, but on the other hand, too much fiber can cause problems too.

The key to ANY diet is variety balance and moderation. A fish's stomach is generally the size of it's eyeball. I feed roughly one pellet per fish, twice a day, 6 days a week. And then absolutely nothing for the entire 7th day.

The two times I have fed bloodworms (frozen) to my community tank I have had an outbreak of disease.

Both times I simply stopped feeding blood worms and fed only NLS flakes and peas. Fish that had become pale and shown symptoms of columnaris completely recovered from the verge of death.

There are too many conflicting reports about the safe use of irradiated foods for me. There are some very interesting articles for and against the irradiation process. I would rather just not feed them until the effects are clearer and I've had no problems since. I don't want to risk feeding them again just yet.

Obviously many people feed them with no problems. I'm just giving the reasons why in my experience I prefer not to use them.

The two times I have fed bloodworms (frozen) to my community tank I have had an outbreak of disease.

Both times I simply stopped feeding blood worms and fed only NLS flakes and peas. Fish that had become pale and shown symptoms of columnaris completely recovered from the verge of death.

There are too many conflicting reports about the safe use of irradiated foods for me. There are some very interesting articles for and against the irradiation process. I would rather just not feed them until the effects are clearer and I've had no problems since. I don't want to risk feeding them again just yet.

Obviously many people feed them with no problems. I'm just giving the reasons why in my experience I prefer not to use them.

What brand of bloodworms did you feed?

I've never even heard of those, I can't imagine they are that great. Get some hakari.

I've never even heard of those, I can't imagine they are that great. Get some hakari.

You are probably right although I can't really imagine what the do differently over at hikari.

You are probably right although I can't really imagine what the do differently over at hikari.

I looked everywhere and I can't find any information on the Nutra bloodworms. Do you notice your hands smell like poo after feeding/handling them?

I've tried every brand of bloodworms available locally and Hikari's are the cleanest. My hands don't smell like a sewer after handling them. While I only like a few of their dry products, their frozen foods are superior to all others I've tried.

Yeah I must say they do smell horrible.

I'm in the UK and pets at home sell them along with most shops and garden centres

Yeah I must say they do smell horrible.

I'm in the UK and pets at home sell them along with most shops and garden centres

Sounds like they don't clean them as well as they claim. I'd try to get your hands on some Hikari.

Back
Top Bottom