Purchasing Fish Online Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bamadude91

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Guys! From what I've read over the few months I've been a member of this forum, you guys seem to purchase a lot of your fish online. I've been looking at Live Fish Direct in Utah and from what I can tell it looks like a good place. Live Fish guarantee for 14 days - the same as Petsmart.
I've purchased all my fish from Petsmart, but they have a limited selection and they sometimes aren't very pretty. I've wanted a few Yellow Labs, but the fish just didn't look good at all. I would really like a Cobalt Blue, and I'm not going to get that at Petsmart.
I've been tentative mainly because I like being able to see them in person, but it appears I can ask for pictures before these fish are shipped from Live Fish Direct.
Are these fish prettier, more healthy, etc?
Any testimonies would be appreciated! Restocking soon (making sure water parameters are good after the ammonia spike killed pretty much all my fish)

I have ordered almost all my fish from them and they was all healthy with not one doa. A matter a fact they are all doing good. I do not have the one your wanting to order so I can't speak for that one. If I would have known better I would have ordered all my fish from another. Reason being is some was good quality but some have just been breed one to many times and they just never colored up like they should have. There are many other sites that carry f1 and/or wild caught for about the same price or not a lot more. So its up to you if you want to take the chance or not. I can say almost all the mbuna I have did color up pretty nice but some of the haps didn't. Also I would order 3"+ because they seem to ship them smaller then what you order. Well that's my 2 cents :)

So, would the cichlids from Live Fish Direct be any better than say Petsmart?

What do you mean better? They have a better selection then petsmart that's for sure. Quality wise its hard to say because I don't know what the petsmart around you is like. The one around me doesn't even cart the fish you have chosen. Witch is why I've ordered almost all mine from lfs.

Maybe this will help

Last edited:
always ship next day unless they are really close to you like just one state over.

always ship next day unless they are really close to you like just one state over.

Sometimes even then its suggested to do next day.. i say this bc i have recently put in a order from TX as i live in LA i thought mayb i could save some money n do priority being its 2d shippin bc its a neighborin state but the sales person said it was best to still do next day

i just bought really tiny african cichlid fry on aquabid and had it shipped priority mail not next day. They came from Ohio and I live in New Jersey. Not one DOA..If the shipper packages,and insulates the box well you shouldn't have a problem. He also added a small hand warmer to keep them warm

Back
Top Bottom