Question about how long to leave lights on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AddictedtoFishNoW

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey cichlid pals! I wanted to know how long it's safe to leave the lights on in the tank.. I have the LED lights that have the white and blue modes.. I wanted to know how long It's safe to leave them on for the day time and night time..

thanks,,

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
Hey cichlid pals! I wanted to know how long it's safe to leave the lights on in the tank.. I have the LED lights that have the white and blue modes.. I wanted to know how long It's safe to leave them on for the day time and night time..

thanks,,

Hello! I leave my lights on for about 5-6 hours when I'm home after work as I have some Anubias plants. Also I have a 4 bulb setup Solarmax extreme 2 daylight 10k and 2 blues plus 8 LED moonlight.

Sometimes I'll leave the moonlights on all night. I don't think it will hurt the fish. The lights are just for your pleasure, the fish do night require the lights. The natural light in the house is enough. I limit my lights being on to avoid algae problems as I went overboard with the lighting. But I love my lighting system.

I do sometimes however leave the lights off for days. They are all on a digital timer built into the light but sometimes I over ride it.

Hope this helped! :)

View attachment 65680

View attachment 65681

You can see the difference with the blue and whites on at the same time and the one with just the whites on.

Last edited:
thanks :) nice tank! love the setup.. I currently am using the marineland single bright.. I'm trying to upgrade because i'm not happy with how it looks at night.. it's not bright enough imo and I spent $150 to buy them at Petsmart :/ .. Do you have any ideas of what I could get? It's I believe the 18-24 x's 2.. I was thinking of the double brights?

AddictedtoFishNoW said:
thanks :) nice tank! love the setup.. I currently am using the marineland single bright.. I'm trying to upgrade because i'm not happy with how it looks at night.. it's not bright enough imo and I spent $150 to buy them at Petsmart :/ .. Do you have any ideas of what I could get? It's I believe the 18-24 x's 2.. I was thinking of the double brights?

I had double brights and I loved them for my 55g but when I went to my 75g I no longer thought it was bright enough and wasn't doing the tank or my Africans justice. You can look into the aquaticLife or Solarmax 2 buld.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Aquarium-T-5-Fixture/I/AquaticLife-T5-2-Lamp-Fixtures.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003I5ZOR8

Again this is just my opinion and what I happened to like. For me I happen to like the blue/white together and the option to switch either off and have the moonlight.

View attachment 65696

And the moonlights

View attachment 65697

Last edited:
I turn my lights on when I get up (usually around 9am) and off when I go to bed (usually 1-2am) I do this with all my tanks, and have no algae issues.
I've got common plecos in all my tanks. The largest one is about 9" and I've had it over 3 years. I figure when/if they get to big I'll trade them in, no biggie.

my lights are on for 15 hours/day. 9am-12am everyday. no moonlights, just on & off.

My cichlid tanks receive indirect natural light during the day. I turn on the aquarium lights at dusk and turn them off when I go to sleep, so usually they're on for about 4-6hrs a day.

Mine are on from approx 12pm-11pm ish...no algae problems ever, but I have plecos in all the tanks too...

I have my lights on a timer, my day lights come on at 5pm and go off at 10pm,at 9:59pm my blue night lights come on untill 12am,i like this routine and my fish are active when im home and feed at the same time each evening

kay-bee19 said:
My cichlid tanks receive indirect natural light during the day. I turn on the aquarium lights at dusk and turn them off when I go to sleep, so usually they're on for about 4-6hrs a day.

Pretty much the same here. I work durring the day so I veil im the evening.

Back
Top Bottom