Questions about kribenses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heiko

Aquarium Advice Activist
Any krib freaks out there able to give me the low down on those cute little fellas.

Im looking to get a pair of kribs at the weekend.

So what i was looking to find out was;

How can you tell the difference between the sexes?

And what are the best water perameters for them?

Those are just for starters.

Thanks

Sexing:

Males have a pointy dorsal fin, females a rounded one. The females have a bigger belly and the males are usually bigger and longer. Don't look for pink bellies, since they willl both have them.
Get the best colored ones, they will soon pair up then (always worked for my dwarf cichlids).

Good water conditions are around neutral. They originally come from acidic waters, but the tank raised ones will be fine with around 7.

THats brilliant thanks.

Was going to buy a pair today but the guy said my 20 gal (with only 3 ottos and 2 danois) wasnt suitable as the kribs were vicious. Whats all that about. Its probably ok because i think they were all male anyway.

Thankyou for that information.

kribs arent vicious.. they make decent community fish untill they breed, then all hell breaks loose anytime anybody enters their territory

they make decent community fish untill they breed, then all hell breaks loose anytime anybody enters their territory
perhaps this is what the store owner was talking about, however the danios and otos most likely will be okay.

yeh onl problem is i have jut found out from another member that they might not be ottos. Its a bummer, they wernt called ottos in the shop but the guy said they were he same thing. Sucking loaches they were labeled as. Im so bummed out. im never gonna get my tank the way i want it. :cry:

My other problem being a student witout my own transport is i have to get my mom to come with me when i go to either of the lfs. Shes not very into it so im under so much pressure to buy something and get out. Its nto the idea situation.

So another synonym for sucking loaches is Chinese algae eater. They can get kinda agressive when they get older. I tell you what, the guy at the lfs sold you them as Otos and you've just found out that they are not as what you bough them. Therefore, it should be no problem to bring them back because of the listed reasons.

I would bring them back, get some otos and some kribs. Maybe you can call to make sure they got OTOCINCLUS and male and FEMALE kribs, before you go there. If they don't just bring the Chinese algaea eater back and get your money back or ask them if they can order Otos or female kribs for you.

Then I would look at another lfs in your area. Maybe your mom is not interested in fishes, but she will probably still go there with you. You just tell her afterwards how much you apprechiate that, and she'll do it again :wink: .

lol, ill give it a go. Going to ring up the place now and maybe take a trip later.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom