Recommendations for small to mid size New World Cichlid for centre piece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Borderlesscott

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I'm looking recommendations for a small to mid sized South American or Central Americian Cichlid to finish my 63 gallon 240 litre Juwel Rio, fully cycled, over filtered, 2 heaters monitored by Seneye and API tests and i do weekly 30% water change, sometimes a 10-20% midweek change as well if fish are spawning. At present I have a pair of Apistogramma Panduro, Pair of German Ram, Pair of Red Breast Acara, 1 Male Bolivian Ram, 6 Lemon Tetra, 5 Cardinal Tetra, 3 Sterbai Cory. All get on together, feed together, never really any territorial disputes until breeding, but that always stops at a small chase, and I usually move a breeding pair to a 60 litre or 35 litre tank for spawning. I have loads of bogwood, rock caves, large Hairgrass, Vallisneria so loads of hiding spots
Do you think I'm fully stocked now or could I get one medium sized cichlid in, I was recommended a pair of Sajicas I while back, before I had the Acara's, Boliivian Ram and Cardinals but I think a got a rogue male as he was hyper aggressive to every tank mate and I had to take them both back, much to the astoundment of the store as they insisted they are usually peaceful enough. I would love a single female Sajica if possible, but worry with what happened - if anyone has different experience with Sajicas and dwarf cichlids I be very happy to hear. Another Cichlid I was looking into was a single Keyhole - again any advise on the above cichlids or other ones would be really appreciated.

I would also look into a non cichlid if anyone has an idea, previously told to get an elephant nose, but probably to big - I want the fish to able to stay in the tank when fully grown, don't like Angels.

Last edited:
In my opinion, your Apistogramma Panduro already are your centerpiece.
I think your tank sounds great as is!

Or your Red Breasted Acara! Haha
Maybe get a Blue Acara?

Would love a Blue Acara, but have heard mixed reviews on aggression, I was actually looking at them in my LFS on Saturday - lovely looking fish, but agree probably too big.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom