New to Cichlids with 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChenuesMom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few months ago I started a dwarf cichlid tank in a 36 bowfront. Appisto, keyhole, ram, rainbow, existing corys and glass catfish. They are fun, but the colors are drab and boring. The substrate is black with lots of real plants. The back wall is black. This may be why they don’t show up.

Decision time: I just bought a 75 gallon for cichlids. True to form I am overwhelmed with decisions.
Do I leave the dwarfs where they are and put malawi in the 75? If I do, which ones?! I don’t like all small all the same shape like mbuna.
Do I move the dwarfs and add some fish to them.?
Dark substrate? Light substrate?
Help please.

Ladies help bring the colors out but will also increase aggression (big time). Idk what you want to do but you could pair your 2 favorite cichlids with a partner in a 75 gallon and still have room for some pretty awesome community fish.
A few months ago I started a dwarf cichlid tank in a 36 bowfront. Appisto, keyhole, ram, rainbow, existing corys and glass catfish. They are fun, but the colors are drab and boring. The substrate is black with lots of real plants. The back wall is black. This may be why they don’t show up.

Decision time: I just bought a 75 gallon for cichlids. True to form I am overwhelmed with decisions.
Do I leave the dwarfs where they are and put malawi in the 75? If I do, which ones?! I don’t like all small all the same shape like mbuna.
Help please.

Help please.
You could also leave them and go peacock/hap in the 75. All male

I’m doing my research on HAPS and Peacocks. How many adult 6” fish can I keep in a 75? It will have two aqua clear 70 HOBS and a sponge for 80-100 gallons. If you think it needs more I will add more filtration.

Are the any Mbunas that can go with HAPS and Peacocks.

Most others are too aggressive. And stick with all male to curb the aggression. And as little territory that they can claim. It makes your tank look kinda bare, but they are so colorful and entertaining you won't mind. I'd do 16-18 fish in there. Overstock like that helps too. I have 30 in my 100 gallon. But that's with good filtration and weekly water changes/vacuum

If you do go with that kind of tank, be prepared for a fair amount of fighting, lots of chasing, and some nipped fins. They def aren't passive fish. But it rarely ever is anything more than that. Mine are too busy acting like they're starving and hunting food to do much fighting. Lots of posturing and showing off. Cracks me up

Back
Top Bottom