Red jewel help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jllarrea

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and so far I love it and I have learned so much from reading y'all's posts. I have a question about a jewel that was beat up pretty badly by another in my African cichlid tank. There are two jewels in there. One is about 1.5 inches and the other is about 1 inch. The higher one beat up the little guy and now he is just hiding under a rock and is not coming out for anything. Not even for food! I really don't think he's gonna make it actually but I thought I'd still ask if there is anything I can do to help him out or if not to take him out of his misery humanely. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. The bigger jewel gets along great with everyone else in the tank so I was very surprised that this happened.

You could try a tank divider, if you don't have a spare tank to put the bully in. You could also try removing all your fish from the tank and change all the tank decor to new positions then place all the fish back in. When putting the fish back in I'd put the bully in last.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You could try a tank divider, if you don't have a spare tank to put the bully in. You could also try removing all your fish from the tank and change all the tank decor to new positions then place all the fish back in. When putting the fish back in I'd put the bully in last.

I would do the rearrange also. Make sure the aggressor jewel gets put in last and the smaller jewel be placed back in first. That allows the small one some time to find a place to hide and call his own.

You may end up having to rehome one though. I have found in my experience that keeping 2 or more of the same species causes issues. I used to have 3 green terrors that were sisters. They were fine for a while but then got really aggressive toward each other while ignoring the others. Also had issues when I had a a couple JD's and Nicaraguans. I've found that it is best to only keep one of a specie in a tank (If you have 6 fish in your tank, each fish is a different specie). Unless if you're doing a colony.

Yes I agree and should have included that the weakest should go back in first. Let us know if the tank rearrange works out for you.

First of all, what other types of fish do you have in the African tank? Secondly, are these the only two Jewels in the tank? How big is the tank? A picture of the tank would also be helpful.

Doing the rearranging and taking out and reintroducing them definitely helped. The little jewel is still hiding but he isn't getting beat up anymore. Thanks for y'all's help!

Back
Top Bottom