Red Texas cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccp2007

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey y'all, my brother just bought a red Texas cichlid last Friday. It's about 4". He got it because he wanted an aggressive cichlid. I checked his water parameters. The wp is Ph: 8.0, nitrite: 0, ammonia: 0.25 and nitrate: 80ppm :eek: he is pretty new at the hobby so I'll be helping him with a wc and other stuff asap to get it where it needs to be. Question here is, why is his TX hiding so much? He'll eat pellets but wouldn't eat a live worm :what: ??? He's a little disappointed because he wanted an aggressive fish. Could this be because the nitrates are so high?

Tank mates are: rainbow shark, rubber lip pleco and pictus cat. All are about 2-3" and all will be going to a new home this weekend so the TX will be alone.

I don't know anything about TX cichlids and my brother needs advice on this particular fish. I already know a MAJOR wc is needed asap...any other thought???

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Almost all new fish are stressed when they get moved into a new tank. Although i have only ever had like three fish that were nervous when i got them. Just give it time, itll come out.

Funny thing about hybrids, they don't all look the same...big surprise..huh?

Dont get cocky with me. Its because of people like you most of the knowledgeable people left this site. At 4", almost all of the fish of the same species look the same. Im 16 and i bet i have owned more cichlids, and know more about them than you.

I won't post on this thread anymore. I'm not a fan of hybrids but ya'll have the right to enjoy whatever you want. Ironically, I used to breed various breeds of Husky dogs together to get the colors I wanted.

Why not fish :)

PS: I'm 60 and I doubt it

Take care my young friend

Ok so y'all ranting at each other basically told me NOTHING of importance...

Ok, that's what I already told my brother. I too have not had any fish be real shy for longer than a day. That's why I found it odd...especially for an "aggressive" fish

Oscar98, is that your Festae in your profile pic?

I just got my first Festae a few weeks ago. I LOVE MY LUCY :)

Can you post more pics of it on this thread? I'm changing subject a little :sly:

You can only download so much data worth of pictures before you run out. I ran out. So the only way i can put pics in here now is using photobucket. Ill have to download it again

To be honest, a 55 isn't big enough for a normal Texas, not sure if the red version is any smaller.

For now though, tell him to do 3 x 20% water changes every other day for a week and just be patient otherwise as they can take a while to settle down. Overdose on the dechlorinator as well (when doing the wc) because it helps build up the slime coat if he's been stressed and will generally help with stressed fish. There isn't anything in the tank to bother him though, so that's not an issue, but make sure there are hiding places like caves made from rocks or bogwood.

You don't want to risk losing one of those, hybrid or not they look awesome from pics i've seen.

Edit: Just realised there is a rainbow shark, which can be territorial and may chase him but won't do any damage. PH 8 a little on the high side also. A large peice of bogwood could possibly bring that down a little over time.

Back
Top Bottom