Redbreast Acara with Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carlos_421

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently learned of the Redbreast Acara aka "Smiling Cichlid" and I really like the look of them. Would they be good tankmates for GBRs?

Depends on tank size, tank layout, other stock, and lighting. Laetacara dorsigera/curviceps/araguaiae (these species are often sold under those names) are typically quite shy, but can be bossy at times. They tend to prefer the middle portion of the tank, and prefer a tank with subdued lighting to bring them out a bit more. Hiding places and plants (either fake or real) are an absolute must IME

This is the tank. It's a 30g and the tankmates are the rams, an angel (generally peacable guy), 12 neons, 2 upside down catfish and 2 khuli loaches (cats and coolies are from before I started moving towards SA only).

I'm looking for a nice piece of driftwood to put where the smaller rock table is and I also plan to add a few more plants. Would that be sufficient cover and breakup of territories?

Attachments

• IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 141
You could try it, but be prepared to move a fish, there's no guarantee it will work. I'd only add one, but it's gonna be hit-or-miss. Generally they do best in pairs, but I think you'd be too overstocked with 2

Thanks for the advice! I don't think I'll be ordering one online. If I see one locally I may be tempted to try purchasing one (not a pair). However, I've never seen one so it may be moot.
If I had a 55g I may order a pair online but...alas.

Back
Top Bottom