SA cichlid as centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R u sure about the bichir. He's quite mean and can hang with the toughest of fish

Im not sure on the bichir but I have seen and experienced red devils, green texas. and jaguar cichlids draw blood on my knuckle and a finger. Ive also seen a 4" Oscar with a 6" eel hanging out of its mouth so anything is possible when it comes to aggressive sa/ca cichlids

Ouch. How bout a frontosa I've heard there not as vicious as the others

I think fronts need to be in groups and need a 6' tank. Im not sure tho. They are African.

How about you sit down and really think about tou want. When you find that fish study it, find compatible tank mates, then decide if its a good choice. We can only tell you yes or no. Your throwing random fish out there but how are you gonna feel about that fish next month? I'd it doesn't work, it doesn't work. There is no way for us to say yes when the compatibility just isn't there. I would do a bit of research if I was you.

Ok everyone has decent points in some ways here. But first off no Red Devils, no Severums, no frontosas, no parrot fish. If you want a SA Cichlid get rid of all your Africans. I think the bichir will be safe if you add a medium sized Cichlid nothing big like has been stated here. If and only if you rehome all the Africans and the Texas Cichlid pretty much everything but your bichir you can add new fish. So I'm suggesting you restart in every thread you have no tank ideas that seem reasonable. Here are some potentially good stocking ideas IMO. But seriously absolutely no large aggressive new worlds in a 46 gallon it won't work and they all need at least a 75 gallon. And yes frontosas get 16 inches and need groups of 3 minimum a 125 gallon is needed for them.

1- Bichir
1- Blue Acara
7- Tiger Barb

Or
1- Bichir
1- Firemouth
6- Congo Tetra

Or
1- Bichir
1- Female Jack Dempsey it will have to be female any male will outgrow your tank.
7- Tiger Barbs

Ok everyone has decent points in some ways here. But first off no Red Devils, no Severums, no frontosas, no parrot fish. If you want a SA Cichlid get rid of all your Africans. I think the bichir will be safe if you add a medium sized Cichlid nothing big like has been stated here. If and only if you rehome all the Africans and the Texas Cichlid pretty much everything but your bichir you can add new fish. So I'm suggesting you restart in every thread you have no tank ideas that seem reasonable. Here are some potentially good stocking ideas IMO. But seriously absolutely no large aggressive new worlds in a 46 gallon it won't work and they all need at least a 75 gallon. And yes frontosas get 16 inches and need groups of 3 minimum a 125 gallon is needed for them.

1- Bichir
1- Blue Acara
7- Tiger Barb

Or
1- Bichir
1- Firemouth
6- Congo Tetra

Or
1- Bichir
1- Female Jack Dempsey it will have to be female any male will outgrow your tank.
7- Tiger Barbs
Right now he has 2 rams and a bicir. Thanks for the help here Josh.

1- Bichir
1- Blue Acara
7- Tiger Barb

Or
1- Bichir
1- Firemouth
6- Congo Tetra

Or
1- Bichir
7- Tiger Barbs

Omg thank you! I thought you disappeared! He has 2 rams in there as well

Well IMO the rams are going to be killed the bichir or Africans are gonna eat them. It's only a matter of time I think his best bet is to rehome everything except his bichir since I know he likes it I can't blame him it's a cool fish and nope I'm still here haha!

How bout peacock chic lids or those won't be good with my stock(

Maybe peacocks tend to be more peaceful compered to other Africans but they like a higher ph and they are and open water swimmer so if you have other open water swimmers you will have a problem

The leaf fish could stay. I would rehome the rams then and make it all African. Why not do something like

1- Leaf Fish
1- Bichir
6- Congo Tetras as long as you buy them large

Ya i agree with josh and others. NO red devil. I have one, and he is alone, mean fish. Also, no red terrors (festae) i have them too. Mean mean mean. But i do slightly disagree with no blood parrot. I personally do not like them but i dont see a problem with one in a 40. Others you could try are

(Not all are sa if any)

Panamesis
Firemouth
Cryptoheros family (panamesis is in the family)
Brazilenisi or whatev its called

Ya i agree with josh and others. NO red devil. I have one, and he is alone, mean fish. Also, no red terrors (festae) i have them too. Mean mean mean. But i do slightly disagree with no blood parrot. I personally do not like them but i dont see a problem with one in a 40. Others you could try are

(Not all are sa if any)

Panamesis
Firemouth
Cryptoheros family (panamesis is in the family)
Brazilenisi or whatev its called

I had a little 3" red devil kill a 7" Oscar. Super mean

But in a 40 the parrot with what he already has I find that to be to many fish just my opinion

If he drops the rams i think it will work. Te parrot swims basically everywhere, the bichir stays pmon the bottom 95% of the time and the leaf fish will sit and lurk in a plant or cave most of the time.

It could work with a lot of water changes and stuff but Idk what the op wants now since there hasn't been a response lol.

Back
Top Bottom