sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wanted to try sand out in my20 & 30 g, before I go as far as my putting it in my 120g, gonna be moving my african cichlids in a few weeks after I move, so i might just switch to sand when i get it out to the new place. Do you still have to rake through your sand bottom at least once a week to release the toxic gas that builds up under it? Here is my 20 & 30 gallon that i tried the sand in, ( I'm not sure what kind of sand it is, it was in a big pile at ace hardware and he just gave me a bucket full. so cant beat that. :D

Attachments

• tanks 027.jpg
    tanks 027.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 3sub.jpg
    3sub.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 122
Gasses can still build up, yeah. It depends how thick the sand layer is though. If you have snails like Malaysian Trumpet Snails they can do this for you, but they can overrun a tank.

I would still try going a bit deeper occasionally. My cories don't really dig deeper than a quarter of an inch.

In my 30 gallon my cichlids are always digging in the sand and i still drag my plastic handle of one of my scrubbers through the sand and you can see the gas bubbles coming up from it. I think when i do my 120 Im gonna do like a Half moon shape and put the pebbles around the rest of the tank, where i am gonna have the cichlid caves and such.

I don't have any problems with gases. Never even heard of the problem in a tank.
Except for myself.

Ok, rinsing the mix was rough and the whole job took many hours. I'm completely spent but so happy I did this! My fish are LOVING their new set-up! The after pics really do NOT do the tank justice. The lights, sand, and black background are working out just the way I wanted. I'll do some water tests tomorrow. Totally worth it hdultra! Good suggestion.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110216_212007.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110216_212007.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 119
  • ForumRunner_20110216_212037.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110216_212037.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 126
  • ForumRunner_20110216_212059.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110216_212059.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 121
I'll be getting more rock and ironing my background and I'm done for a little while...That is until I can justify getting another tank... something around 100 gal. Cichlids Rock!

That tank looks sick. Congrats. Hopefully my tank looks as good

This is where that poll about the ages of members helps. I'm assuming sick is a good thing here. Am I right? :)

I'll be getting more rock and ironing my background and I'm done for a little while...That is until I can justify getting another tank... something around 100 gal. Cichlids Rock!

Tank,

That does look awesome. As you said allot of work but it really makes the tank stick out. And is nice to look at. Now you hardly ever have to worry about PH levels as they will remain around 7.8 to 8.2. Make sure your filter pickup is about 3" above the substrate. That will reduce the level of sand that gets sucked up by the filter. Good job man looks really awesome.

BTW hdultra...5 20lb bags ended up giving me about 4 inches of sand in my 55gal. That's what I get for not doing the math myself :) It's cool anyway because I have a little 20gal project going.

hdultra said:
Tank,

That does look awesome. As you said allot of work but it really makes the tank stick out. And is nice to look at. Now you hardly ever have to worry about PH levels as they will remain around 7.8 to 8.2. Make sure your filter pickup is about 3" above the substrate. That will reduce the level of sand that gets sucked up by the filter. Good job man looks really awesome.

Thanks. Yeah, you were right... great stuff!

BTW hdultra...5 20lb bags ended up giving me about 4 inches of sand in my 55gal. That's what I get for not doing the math myself :) It's cool anyway because I have a little 20gal project going.[/QUOT

I love the rocks you have, very nice color. I have been looking for rocks like that. 'with rich color.

Thanks. My rock search hasn't been very fruitful. Most of the lava I have came with the tank. I was able to find some nice color but not great shape. Instead of big bubbling, twisting, turning shapes I've only been able to find, basically, boulders that have a slight lava texture. I'm going to browse some today and see if I can find something that works nicely alongside of my lava without making it look like two setups in one tank.

Thanks. My rock search hasn't been very fruitful. Most of the lava I have came with the tank. I was able to find some nice color but not great shape. Instead of big bubbling, twisting, turning shapes I've only been able to find, basically, boulders that have a slight lava texture. I'm going to browse some today and see if I can find something that works nicely alongside of my lava without making it look like two setups in one tank.

I'm going to look at some of the plant nursery's in the area. Hope to find something also.

Here is some info on the toxic gases. Google it.

They are not really air, they are pockets of poisonous gas. Fine sand often gets compacted together tightly enough that water does not circulate through the sand, so the sand becomes an environment that is very low in oxygen. Then, when organic matter (fish waste, food, plants, dead animals) is trapped in the sand, it is broken down by anerobic bacteria, which, as waste products, produce some toxic substances, especially hydrogen sulfide. All this has been known to occur in some gravel substrates, but it is much more likely in a sand substrate. These pockets of poison gas will eventually escape from the sand and, if there is a large enough amount of the gas, can poison the fish. The gas also smells really bad (something like sewage or rotten eggs).

You can prevent the buildup of this gas by making sure the sand isn't too deep (not more than a couple of inches deep), and by stirring the sand frequently. Sometimes the animals in the tank will do the stirring for you. I love MTS, they burrow constantly. stir up substrate pretty good if you have enough of them. they do however breed exceedingly slow for snails

Back
Top Bottom