sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jillofalltrades37 said:
Here is some info on the toxic gases. Google it.

They are not really air, they are pockets of poisonous gas. Fine sand often gets compacted together tightly enough that water does not circulate through the sand, so the sand becomes an environment that is very low in oxygen. Then, when organic matter (fish waste, food, plants, dead animals) is trapped in the sand, it is broken down by anerobic bacteria, which, as waste products, produce some toxic substances, especially hydrogen sulfide. All this has been known to occur in some gravel substrates, but it is much more likely in a sand substrate. These pockets of poison gas will eventually escape from the sand and, if there is a large enough amount of the gas, can poison the fish. The gas also smells really bad (something like sewage or rotten eggs).

You can prevent the buildup of this gas by making sure the sand isn't too deep (not more than a couple of inches deep), and by stirring the sand frequently. Sometimes the animals in the tank will do the stirring for you. I love MTS, they burrow constantly. stir up substrate pretty good if you have enough of them. they do however breed exceedingly slow for snails

So.... anybody here actually have gas buildup kill yr fish?

Tim Wheatley said:
This is where that poll about the ages of members helps. I'm assuming sick is a good thing here. Am I right? :)

Ya, us 20 somethings and our hip way of talking...personally I blame the 90's

You have to be doing something bad wrong to have gas pockets build up in a fw tank IMO. I don't worry about it with my PFS, since the grains are large enough to allow any gas that would build up to escape. If you have really fine sand that's 3" or deeper, and you're not stirring it or have fish that dig, then you may have to worry... but who keeps 3" of sand in their tank anyways?

mfdrookie516 said:
You have to be doing something bad wrong to have gas pockets build up in a fw tank IMO. I don't worry about it with my PFS, since the grains are large enough to allow any gas that would build up to escape. If you have really fine sand that's 3" or deeper, and you're not stirring it or have fish that dig, then you may have to worry... but who keeps 3" of sand in their tank anyways?

Funny you should ask... I put too much sand in but I'm not going to treat it like a 911. I'll get some of it out soon and I'm sure only lazy folks that let their tanks cruise for long periods of time are the only ones having this problem. Nothing in my tank but rock, sand, fish. I feed light enough that very little, if any, food hits the floor of the tank. Glass and sand not gonna create gas. I bet I could leave the amount of sand I have in and not have any problems.

Think of the good parts of putting too much sand in... It'll be easier to seed the NEXT tank you add to the collection. :)

I have also noticed that there are many hobbyists that worry about everything under the sun when it comes to decor and I have also noticed that you can find negatives on just about any material that you search.

Tim Wheatley said:
Think of the good parts of putting too much sand in... It'll be easier to seed the NEXT tank you add to the collection. :)

That's what I'm talkin bout Tim! Cup half full. lol

De-gassing? Yes. Oh wait you asked about the sand. Lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

I figured. Was just teasing. Haha

My fish really became territorial this week. They are lip locking it's crazy to watch. For the last 6 month's they have been ral good to each other.

One of them lost there spot, so he decided to dig a new hole to hide in.So needless to say my sand is all dug up. Re landscaped. lol

hdultra said:
My fish really became territorial this week. They are lip locking it's crazy to watch. For the last 6 month's they have been ral good to each other.

One of them lost there spot, so he decided to dig a new hole to hide in.So needless to say my sand is all dug up. Re landscaped. lol

lol. My Johanni has been at it all night I'm sure. Had a few piles going before I headed out to work. I have only had one bad lip lock so far between a tang and a Malawi but it ended as soon as it started and the loser just gave up and never returned for more.

TankBoss said:
lol. My Johanni has been at it all night I'm sure. Had a few piles going before I headed out to work. I have only had one bad lip lock so far between a tang and a Malawi but it ended as soon as it started and the loser just gave up and never returned for more.

Might have been 2 Tangs... one I have yet to id

I finally got my 220 in place as soon as I get it cycled i'm moving the big fish in it.

Back
Top Bottom