Sand for cichlid tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harborlily

Aquarium Advice Regular
My LFS has the Tahitian moon one (I use that in my 29 gallon) and they have the eco complete cichlid sand. Is there a plus to getting the Eco complete? Color doesn't matter ?

-Nadia
-29 gallon community tank with mollies and corys
-10 gallon temporary tank for a sick baby Oscar named Audrey
-Setting up the 55!!

It helps buffer the water some and the black helps show there color. It is a good product though. Personally I like black diamond blasting sand for colorful fish medium or coarse grit you can get like a 40# bag for around $8 from tractor supply. It makes the fishes color pop.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I like the Tahitian one because it's a great shiny black... But I'm kinda leaning towards the Eco complete one so I don't have to rinse (no yard to rinse in)

-Nadia
-Setting up the 55!!

Ahh I see yes that would be a good choice then as the blasting sand needs to be rinsed more than most

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd say do more research on it I went from gravel to sand and from what I found there is no natural black sand so I chose play sand and it's not that hard to rinse I did it with a 5 gal bucket in the tub lol just my opinion
Oh and blasting sand tends to have sharp edges not good for bottom feeders
Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The Tahitian moon sand is very fine and IME not suitable for cichlids because they tend to dig and kick it up into the water column. Then it gets sucked up by the filter.

Pool filter sand or Lapis Luster blasting sand is the best that I've found.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Tahitian moon sand is very fine and IME not suitable for cichlids because they tend to dig and kick it up into the water column. Then it gets sucked up by the filter.

Pool filter sand or Lapis Luster blasting sand is the best that I've found.

Yep, I have it in my planted tank, just from corys and apistos I've found a few granules in the bottom of my ac 70. I've even raised the intake 4 " from substrate..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so a no on Tahitian. Eco complete cichlid sand ok? The black and white mix?

-Nadia
-Setting up the 55!!

What type of fish is going in the tank? That sand is also pretty expensive for what it is, I'd suggest looking into the cheaper sand options like the PFS, Lapis Luster, Play sand, ect.

It's for my Oscar. She's 2in long right now so she'll be in here until she gets a 125 next year.

-Nadia
-Setting up the 55!!

Price doesn't matter. I only need 2 bags. I just want easy to rinse and the whole 'bacteria' thing on Eco complete sounded nice

-Nadia
-Setting up the 55!!

I believe the Eco sand will buffer the PH and since your Oscar is a SA that's not ideal. The bacteria thing is a gimmick.

If you don't want to rinse the sand, Pool filter sand if your best option and is neutral.

So oscars don't need a higher ph? I'd prefer a darker sand.... Should I maybe do gravel instead?

-Nadia
-Setting up the 55!!

Back
Top Bottom