Sexing Blue Acara

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Frank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
Just wondering how to sex Electric Blue Acara. What are the key points to look for in sexing:
1. Male Electric Blue Acara
2. Female Electric Blue Acara

Please take note that the Acaras I am trying to sex are juvenile.

Thanks,
Fish Frank.

Usually not easy to determine the sex of juvenile new world cichlids. The electric blue Acara is a hybrid fish which might make the identification even more difficult. When my daughter selected her EB Acara out of a 40 gal. Tank packed full of them, she bought the one with the most vivid blue color, which also had brightest red edging on the fins. In a few months it was easy to identify the fish as a male.
Look at the dorsal fin too. The back part of the dorsal is usually pointed in male S.A. cichlids. The females are more rounded.
Hope this helps.

The female will be smaller on average and display a much lighter/white coloring on her side. It's actually pretty obvious when you see it.

Usually not easy to determine the sex of juvenile new world cichlids. The electric blue Acara is a hybrid fish which might make the identification even more difficult. When my daughter selected her EB Acara out of a 40 gal. Tank packed full of them, she bought the one with the most vivid blue color, which also had brightest red edging on the fins. In a few months it was easy to identify the fish as a male.

Look at the dorsal fin too. The back part of the dorsal is usually pointed in male S.A. cichlids. The females are more rounded.

Hope this helps.

Thanks [emoji1303]

Back
Top Bottom