Sexing Yellow Labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blizzard

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best way to sex yellow lab (electric yellow) cichlids? Both of mine have a good amount of black in their fins. I will try to put up some pictures today if I can.

-Blizzard.

the only sure way to sex labs is to vent them, or see the females hold. i have had many a confirmed male turn up to be females.

Well I'm asking because I'm pretty sure I've got two males. The bigger one will not leave the smaller one alone. He forces the smaller fish into hiding for a few minutes, then he will be brave enough to come back out. But then as soon as the bigger fish sees him he will chase him into hiding again. Oh yeah, the one that's doing the bullying has a small circular whitish spot on the anal fin. Could this be an "egg spot"? What would this mean?
Any thoughts?

-Blizzard

Could this be an "egg spot"? What would this mean?

very little sorry. Egg spots can be found on males and females.
This topic comes up frequently and the outcome is usually the same, there is no sure fire way of sexing yellow labs, besides triazoles directions.
By the sounds of it you have two males. (Judging only by their actions you mentioned)

triazole said:
the only sure way to sex labs is to vent them, or see the females hold.

triazole is absolutely correct. Do a search for "venting" and you will be amply rewarded. Otherwise you're just playing a guessing game until they start holding.

Back
Top Bottom