ID a fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Damo76

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got a fish with a tank but have no idea what it is. Unfortunately, I can't take a picture as every time I enter the room it hides behind wood or filter. I have limited knowledge about fish species so will describe it as best as possible. It is approximately 5cm long. The mouth is similar to a rasbora. The body is almost tube-like similar to some loaches. It has clearly visible fin types. It's head has dull yellow and greyish black stripes. The darker stripes slowly turn to dots along its body. From what I could see with a torch, Its dorsal fins are grey with a bright yellow striped tip and its ventral fins are grey with blue striped tip. I have not clearly seen the tail or or other fins. All google results are completely nothing like I describe.
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong area, new to the forum and don't know my way around just yet.

Sorry, the description doesn't sound familiar. I suggest you try visiting some local pet shops and seeing if they have this fish in stock. Another option is to try setting up a camera with a remote button to take pics while you are not in the room.

My guess.... Very much is a guess. Check out the freshwater "goby" species.

Possibly a young goby.

THANK YOU!
Just a few thousand species of them. I'll settle for just goby as most the first few hundred images resembled mine, I did not find an exact match on it's breed. Might be a cross.

Try doing a Google image search for yours as mixing gobies does not always work. Some are very territorial. (y)

Check out rainbow gobies. With the colours you mentioned, could be a variant of that.

It's very cool when you get a random fish appear. I had it recently after changing stock. 2 months later I've seen a baby fish from my old stock.

Not so good though, as I need to find it a new home, as having one pearl danio isn't ideal and my LFS is now not taking donations until the end of the month.

I think gobies need to be in a group aswell. So might be worth confirming what it is and work out what's the best thing to do

Try doing a Google image search for yours as mixing gobies does not always work. Some are very territorial. (y)

First time I used that search feature. My first semi-successful photo came with mixed results goby minnow, corydoras and catfish. Hopefully it will come out a bit more and I can take a clearer pic with its colours and markings. Thanks for the tip.

First time I used that search feature. My first semi-successful photo came with mixed results goby minnow, corydoras and catfish. Hopefully it will come out a bit more and I can take a clearer pic with its colours and markings. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, you need a clear picture ( use good lighting) for that to really give you some accurate answers. :whistle: There are many fish that have similar patterns so you need to show body shape as well.

Solved

Unfortunately, I don't have a camera so couldn't set up an automatic shoot. Fortunately, it has begun to make more frequent appearances and I was able to get a couple of semi decent pics that Google determined is a Northern Purple Spotted (Trout) Gudgeon. After reading several articles and considering I have had extreme luck with mixing fish before. I did start researching cohabitants with my nano tanks. When researching this gudgeon, I have decided to leave it as a single fish. When out of hiding, it seems at ease with it's tank mates so all I'll do is adapt to its diet more often. I'll keep an eye on all the fishes behaviours as they continue to grow.

Thank you for all the help offered.

Mogurnda adspersa or Mogurnda mogurnda are quite nice fish. They will eat small things if they are hungry but leave everyone alone if well fed. They live in caves during the day and come out at night. Males look after the eggs and fry in the cave. The eggs are laid on the roof of the cave and the babies can be reared up on green water, infusoria or boiled egg yolk, or a liquid fry food for egg layers. After a few weeks the babies can eat newly hatched brineshrimp. Male fish get a rounded forehead whereas females will be sloped.

Back
Top Bottom