Shell-dweller biotope?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosh96

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm headed off to college in a few months and I'd like to start a 10g Tanganyika shell-dweller setup while I'm there. What kinds of water parameters/substrate/furniture would make for an accurate Tanganyika biotope?

Your best answer to these questions is to hit google and read everything you can. I'm not trying to be mean, just that information on shellie tanks is EVERYWHERE. It's a better idea to go research, and then present your refined questions back on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Shellie Paradise

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey I have a thread being made about a Shellie biotube right now, you can subscribe to my thread as it will probably answer a lot of your questions

Unless you use the exact species of snail shells it actually will not be considered a biotope, just an FYI.

Unless you use the exact species of snail shells it actually will not be considered a biotope, just an FYI.

Excellent point. Gonna have to find out where I can get some Tanganyikan snail shells.

I don't remember the species name but I have seen them for sale. Kylefreakgecko would know, he's pretty into the Lake Tang cichlids.

Excellent point. Gonna have to find out where I can get some Tanganyikan snail shells.

The species is neothauma and there are very few people that export these shells out of Tanganyika, and for good reason. The more of these shells they remove from the lake, the less habitat shellies and other fish and creatures will have. However, you can occasionally find these real shells for sale in places like eBay, where people are selling shellies with a real neothauma shell or two. The only time I've been able to find the true shells, the person wanted $5 for each shell. Given that shellies should generally have 3-5 shells each, it would get expensive FAST. For this reason, I use mexican turbo snail shells (typically free from any lfs that sells saltwater, I just rinse and soak them) and escargot shells (found them at a small liquor store/market nearby).

Like I said earlier, hit google and read up, there is TONS of information on shellies out there, even on this forum, we typically see 3-4 threads a month asking the same questions on shellies.

http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28928 Read this, and it'll explain more on the shellie "biotope", although not all species live in this giant shell bed, like it shows with neolamprologus brevis.

I don't remember the species name but I have seen them for sale. Kylefreakgecko would know, he's pretty into the Lake Tang cichlids.

Lol right on time!

Back
Top Bottom