Shell dweller tank advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been trying to figure out what to do with my 12.5g tank that I have empty and just sitting outside. I have the filter for it running in my community aquarium so it should be an instantly cycled tank. I really wanted something different and really fun and interesting to watch and thought about shell dwellers. I've never had them before and the only cichlids I have are german blue rams so ill be needing done guidance. I've been looking at the different species of shell dwellers and came across this video and just love the tank and the fish species, my favourite shell dwellers I've seen so far.

http://youtu.be/zkc1fY238IM

Are these type of shell dwellers suitable for a 12.5g? What substrate am I best using a cichlid sand or something? And I'd like to try and get a 3d background like the one in the video and use it as my inspiration. All help will be greatly appreciated :)

What kind of substrate do you have? Can you uplod a pic of your tank? There are a couple diff types of shell dwellers. Similis, multis, brevis, occies. My favorite are the occies and similis.

What kind of substrate do you have? Can you uplod a pic of your tank? There are a couple diff types of shell dwellers. Similis, multis, brevis, occies. My favorite are the occies and similis.

I haven't set it up yet so starting from scratch. What substrate would you recommend? Wanted to plan it out before I started. I usually like brighter coloured fish so what is the most appealing looking type?

Ok so ya get about 2-3 inch of sand because they like to dig. The gold occies have the color but the similis and multis are really cool.

You need at least two or three snail shells per fish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok will pool filter sand or play sand be fine? I'm leaning more towards pool filter sand. I liked the similis aswell they have cute mouths haha. The gold occies are pretty though. Decisions are tough!

I love the mouths on the brevis too there's something about those big cichlid mouths I find adorable :p

But the amount of shells you need depends on the fish you whant.

Yeah if I could decide which one I want haha what would be a good number ? 4?

Yeah if I could decide which one I want haha what would be a good number ? 4?

And do they get along with any upper level swimming fish ?

Yep. But if you get multis you need about 3 shells per fish.

Little tetras, little danios, like zebra danios.

Back
Top Bottom