Shell Dwellers *Now with Pictures*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in all honesty i have yet find a piece of drift wood that will lower my ph, which was a goal in some of my other tanks, my water is too hard for wood to affect it :?

Personally I'm not particular about trying to recreate the environment the fish have in the wild. My tanks have much more rocks/cover than is natural to give the fish more choices and escape routes. An aquarium isn't a lake or river, it's a relatively tiny, crowded box to keep fish in. Whatever can be done to enrich their environment can only be helpful in the long run IMO. (Unless you're keeping a bare tank full of mbuna, and don't want anything for them to argue over...)

ok, shells came, added some rounded river rocks and a branch with x-mass moss and a java fern tied to it...

Left Side
img_801166_0_e2ab400b75d645ec01aa9c15ba5f59b6.jpg

Middle
img_801166_1_621c523faf41c6020f1f50c72bdf3aea.jpg

Right Side
img_801166_2_9756767a66618c6591900a4b94203974.jpg

Full Tank Shot
img_801166_3_14e20b052696404cad86495811c17cc0.jpg

Awesome set up, it looks great. I've had no experience with shell dwellers so am appreciating this thread immensly. (y)

Are those multi's or caudopunctatus? The dorsal fin on the lower fish/2nd & 3rd pics/ looks yellow.) Juvie multi's don't show stripes until they grow to a certain size, and they'll need time to settle in anyway.

toddnbecka said:
Are those multi's or caudopunctatus? The dorsal fin on the lower fish/2nd & 3rd pics/ looks yellow.) Juvie multi's don't show stripes until they grow to a certain size, and they'll need time to settle in anyway.
the breeder said they are F1 multis assuming the adult (wild caught) multis in the tank were their parents. there were no other fish in the tank, so i feel it safe to assume the parentage... :wink:

yes they are still young only 1/4 inch or so right now.

i actually got 7 for the price of six.

he caught them by chasing them back into their shells and then gave them to me shell and all. the parents had only a couple of weeks ago had a second spawn and so he warned me i might get some tinny tag alongs from the second spawn, well on introduction into my tank i can confirm atleast one tinny tag along, i hope the little guy makes it! :?

i was thinking i need something to clean up after the multies, they apear not to touch food after it hits the bottom :?

would a couple apple snail be a good additon?

and/or maybe some ghost shrimp?

Personally, I'd stick with MTS for snails, apple snails won't stir up the sand. As for ghost shrimp, they may be worth a try, and you're not out much if they get killed and/or eaten.

SWEET LORD. They are adorable.

Apple snails (brigs) will do a great job of eating leftovers. MTS do, too, but only come out at night. I'd chuck a couple brigs in there.

Lovely tank. I hate you. I mean, "congratulations!"

Ghost shrimp aren't a great idea: they tend to get killed, and those that don't will snatch eggs/fry when given the chance. I tried 'em on more than one occasion and can't recommend you doing the same. I'd stick with the MTS.

Back
Top Bottom